Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Short Exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Aug 16, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Well, currently I'm in the middle of doing a shackle flip in the rear. Part of doing the flip I was required to cut my rear exhuast some b/c it was in the way. It use to come out the sides behind the rear tire. Now, I cut that angle out and now it just points out to the rear, but is like under the truck where the leaf springs are. Its pretty short. I was thinking of driving the truck around like this for awhile until I save up enough money and get it redone. Will this cause any problems or anything? I would assume no, but you never know. Thanks
    Boss

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The only problem I could see is if you had any holes in the floor at the back you might get some fumes inside the truck. Unless the top is off then who cares [​IMG]

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hey, I heard you used a torch for the rivits, I plan on using a torch as well, any advice on how not to burn the frame or my boots, anything you would do differently?

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

4. Boss

I got plenty of advice for you Steve. Ok, first of all, wrap your wires in a soaking wet rag. Exstremely wet. Trust me, that method works well. No burnt wires here. I only have wires on the driver side. Also cover up the fuel line with extremely wet rag also. I wrapped it just incase, but no fuel was there and also, its kind of far away. Ok, now the cutting. What I did was I aimed the torch head on on the rivet. Got it red hot and then pulled the oxy trigger. Blew right threw it. Keep it there till you see sparks shooting out the other side. Then I imediately turn the torch to the side of that rivet and took off the complete rivet. I then took my air chisel and jabbed the rivet on the other side out. They flew off easy b/c there was already a whole in them. My boot did catch on fire twice b/c I stepped on the molton lava metal and didn't know it. Funny now though. I cut the frame a little, but that was b/c it was my first couple and then I got the hang of it and did it the way I just described. For the two rivets underneath, those are hard to get to. I just basically went under the truck and took them out from underneath and then airchisled them out. Air chisel is key, b/c it is pointy and its really pound them out. Hope this helps yah. And remember to wear the appropriate clothing and gloves, you don't want any skin showing. I got a few burn marks b/c it burnt through my sweatshirt.
    Boss

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Sorry Boss. Just thought I'd warn Steve since he's doing it this weekend...

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

6. Boss

Oh, I forgot to mention, when torching the rivits head on, make sure its head on and not kind of angled, that would cause it to go through the side of it and that will go through the frame, but head on will go through the rivit and the other side if the rivit. Then turn the torch to the side of the rivit that you're working on and just take it out, you'll be able to see it just melt away. Some of the rivit on the other side will still be there, that is a good thing, then you pound it out with the chisel and it just pops right out. This way, you won't burn the frame at all. You may damage the shackle mount hanger a tad, but who cares, you won't need it.
    Boss

ps, Shawn, no problem man, always glad to help out the CK5 man. You must've told him how my boots caught on fire. I had to laugh while it was on fire even though it was a serious situation. Just stomped it out while I was cutting.

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thank's for the advice, maybe I should keep the tank in just for extra excitment. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel