Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Short Water Pump

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have a short water pump. Do all 1st gen Blazers have short water pumps? I am trying to figure out if all my brackets are factory or if they came with the 400 that is in there. What years did the 400 come with a short water pump?

All this comes about because I got a York A/C compressor and mount off of a '73 p/u and though it would bolt right up...it doesn't /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I guess I won't have OBA for Blazer-Fest /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

2. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

not quite sure about the water pumps but i will see ya up there i'm leaving in the morning!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

All GM truck small blocks used short pumps through the '72 model year. '73 is the first year for long pumps on trucks. Parts guys are often confused since the cars switched to long pumps in '69.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I never really even thought about it...I just assumed that it would be the same as the rest of the chevy trucks (almost everything else is swapable).

In my LMC catalog it has how to measure to tell which pump in with the alt. brackets and it says long water pump from 69-72. Maybe they made the same mistake because I do have a short pump.
    I guess I can compare with all the other trucks at Blazer Fest next weekend.

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Blazer1970 is correct. All GM trucks that came with a small-block V8 used the short water pump up until 1972. There's some wierdness in water pump changeover year from short to long on the Corvette as well, from what I have been told.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The bottom hose on the short pump exits different than the long pumps too. If you use a long pump on a first gen you need to find one that the bottom hose angles upwards a bit or it will hit the frame rail. You will need different pulleys too of course.

John

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Me gots a short one too

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

miunes got the short pump also.looks to be unanimus.

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i am doing my engine swap on my 69 and the water pump for the 350 is taller than the one for the 307 i took out. i had to play around with all my pulleys and stuff. the power steering gave me the most trouble. i went and checked out w3hat the parts store said fit the 307 and it was the samer thiung it just had a different water inlet.