Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shortbed tank vs. longbed tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 14, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

my tanks are rusted junk on my 83 longbed pickup, and
    i know that shortbed are shorter tank than longbed, but would that prevent a shortbed tank from swapping in place and working in place of a longbed one for at least temporarily ?

thanks

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can put a 16 gallon (shortbed) tank on a longbed no problem. Some longbeds came with 16s from the factory, some with 20s (both mine have 20s).

Also, there is no "driver" or "passenger" side tank. You can rotate the sending unit 180* in any tank to make it work for the opposite side.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah you can swap brackets and straps youre right yep, i forgot about that, cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i went and just go tback form going and looking at this shortfleet pickup that my stepdad is getting for parts and damn its super clean and nice all cept bad driver side rocker which is an easy fix really, everything else is still got its paint on it and is clean, the truck sat parked for years, its an 83 or 84 by the grille and parking lights design, i am going to end up with the truck (minus the bed and doors and engine and tranny)
    im not sure what ill do with the truck, i in all reality would love to tarp it over and sav eit for another engine and tranny, and put the bed off stepdads 82 k10 on it and the doors too or some other doors, and eventually use it for a spare truck as emergency transprotation, etc.

now ive got another Q haha, do you think a longbed tank would physically fit on a shortbed, or would that not be possible ?

and i take it that the 56" (overall) long tanks on my 83 is the longer tank length right ? they look to be normal common length ones to me, from what ive seen over the years anyways.

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know for a fact that a longbed 20 gallon tank will not fit on a shortbed. Someone at JC Whitney sold me one years ago to put on my K10 and it wouldn't fit. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif