Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shortening a LWB Frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KingDuramax, Jun 4, 2006.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

What is involved in shotening a Long Wheel base frame to fit a blazer body on it? Curious if anyone has done this. I have a LWB frame and found a blazer body cheap.

2. chevyman_400

chevyman_400 Registered Member

just cut the rear spring mounts off move the axle where you want it drill holes and bolt back on. then cut extera off the back. thats what I did. and it worked fine

3. KingDuramax

Cool. DO you have any pics of it?

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

x2, thats the way i would do it...i cent understand why people cut and splice the frame...

5. chevyman_400

I have pics but I don't know how to post them????

6. KingDuramax

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a lwb and cut it down to put a short bed on it. we cut the frame cause it seemed easier and my dad has done it to three trucks now and none of them have ever had any problems so I trusted him when he helped me do it that way. plus if you just move the spring hangers you wont have the hump in the frame for the axle to articulate but Im not real sure that you even need it. my frame has held up just fine and is still straight or at least as straight as it was before but I think it would be stronger and maybe safer to move the spring hangers. If I had done it myself I would have done it that way but like I said my dad helped me do it and I trust him. Im gonna go back and add another plate to the outside and maybe a cross member so Ill at least feel a little safer about it.

8. chevyman_400

I will get some good pics in the sunlight this weekend and e-mail them to you.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

to me it just seems remove the rivets, sliding the brackets forward and either drilling and bolting or weld them in place. hell i could do it in a about an hour allsaid an done. i dont think the same can be said for a frame splice. Also your adding a spot to fail. not saying its going to happen but its another thing that can go wrong. Also the hump in the frame isnt going to affect anything

10. chevyman_400

here is an older pic it kinda gives you idea. I move my rear forwared about 13 inches then put a crossmeber in betewenn the spring hangers to reduse the stress on the frame. I have never had a problem with not have the axle hump.
    [​IMG]

11. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a good frame 305 efi, 700r in a 1989 Jimmy I would sell cheap it is in running condition. Just to lazey to list on eBay.