Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shortening a lwb truck to Blazer length?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know of anyone who has done this? I have sorta been looking for a junker bodied K5 frame to build into a buggy sorta affair, but no luck yet. I have a LWB 3/4T that is sittin here. Is it tough to shorten the frame to around 106-110", maybe take a length out of the center of the frame and put it back together? I am contemplatin either a tube buggy idea, or a pickup cab type/ flat deck but heavily modified. ie widened Jeep hood, no front fenders, topless etc. It will be a long term project, but just thinkin..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Usually bad news when I start thinkin like this...

Mike

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's been done a lot, but I have a blazer and I am trying to lengthen my wheel base to 110-115, more stable and fits most of my trails.

3. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I shortened my crewcab longbed to about Suburban length. I took out 23 inches by moving all 4 spring hangers forward. Use a 10mm drill bit and 10mm bolts to put it back together. I used grade 8, but some people tried to tell me to use grade 5 so they would flex instead of brake. I would rather have the stronger of the two. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Now that is cool! What is your wheelbase now? How do you find it on the trails? As compared to a Blazer wheelbase length? Is yours as long as a regular cab pickup wheelbase? Just lookin for a fun project to do that works well. Thanks for the pics!
    Mike

5. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I have no idea what the wheelbase is. If I knew the original then it would be easy to figure out(subtract 23 inches). I still don't have it completed so i have no idea what it is like on the trail or road. I need a wiring harness, steering column, gas tank, front and rear shafts, and a roll cage at least.

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Ryan,
    Very cool idea. What do you plan to do for the bed area?

FYI:
    73-87 long bed pickup = 131.5"
    73-87 shortbed pickup = 117.5"
    73-91 suburban.......... = 129.5"
    77-91 crew cab lg bed = 164.5"

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Cool truck. What gas tank are you going to use?

You've got me thinking

[​IMG]

I was wondering what it would look like moving springs up and cutting out the wheel hump in frame. It's hard to forsee any clearance issues there with the lift in place. Your departure angle is gonna be great!!

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the frame on the lwb pickup and see that it drops at the back of the cab and is a little lower from there forward. If a guy cut the frame, and welded it on straight, it would give the equivalant of a 3-4" lift... dunno if you caught what I mean, but I am cutting the bed off the truck this weekend and checking it out a little closer.

BTW thanks for the wheelbase numbers. Might help!
    Mike

9. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

wheelbase would now be 141.5". The bed will be a flatbed made with 2" tubing for the outer edges and I am not sure about the bed surface yet. Going to put a tool box behind the cab and a spare tire mount on the driver's side that will hold the tire upright. Hoping on using a 40 gallon 'burb tank mounted just forward of the rear axle.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

mine is c30 cut down to shortbox length.
    cut and spliced between the cab mount crossmember and the steadybearing crossmember

11. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Hey mj, do you have any pics of your truck like this? I just bought a 88 crew cab and was wanting to do this. Sorry, guys not trying to steal your post

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status