Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shorter rear axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, Mar 24, 2005.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I have a D44 front and a 14ff rear, and I think the front axle is 3 inches longer than the rear. I knew this was the case on the 10 bolt front and rear but not on the 3/4 ton. is anyone running wheel spacers for this? Can you share some pics? Is it a good idea to run wheel spacers? Thanks. andy

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

factory did this to help make your turning circle shorter. but yes you can run spacers or get a van axle thats 3" wider and solve the whole thing.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

spacers are bad idea

many reason why, one is more stress on wheel studs, another is wheels wont sit on hubs pilot anymore, which is also bad on studs,

ive seen wheels fly off rigs because ppl are stupid and mount wheels on that dont fit hubs tight like factory, etc,
    no one seems ot understand or agree with it, but yet they lose a wheels and have no clue why or how, risk to others out on the road,,

some ppl are just stupid and will disagree and argue about it, and some have a brain and can comprehend why and how its dangerous to ride weight on studs directly and not on hubs,

others will have more reasons why,

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

spacers are ok

The studs can handle the stress w/o any problem; a 6-lug axle with 7/16 grade 8 studs can take over 90,000-lb (15,000/stud) of load in shear before the studs begin to fail. I suspect the axle tube will fail first:)

The reasons wheels usually fall off are:
    -lugs not torqued corectly
    -lugs not re-torqued after 50-100 miles
    -lugs are over-tightened, which yields the threads of the lug nut

I've had two wheels fall off my truck while driving; stock aluminum rims, stock tires and no spacers. They came off because I didn't bother to re-torque.

re-torqing is especially important if you run aluminum rims and/or large tires that don't ballance out well.

If you can't tighten a lug nut by hand until it bottoms out on the wheel than the lug, and possibly the stud need to be replaced. (Assuming the stud is not too rusty)

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

For the rim to not be on the hub of a 14bff his spacers would have to be 4" wide on each side. He only needs 1.5" on each side and quit a few people here run spacers if I remember correctly.