Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shortest rear driveshaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_87K5, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Wondering what the limit is....what's the shortest rear driveshaft anyone is running?

I'm planning some changes...doubler w/taller gears vs GearVendor OD and keeping my 4.88s.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

steve.. I talked to jess at HAD awhile ago about this....its totally dependant on lift..axle.. t/c/doubler etc etc....he thought I could get a 205/ranger od/stick and even a doubler to work
    he gets them to work pretty short...in the teens...
    of course they get spendy with all the good stuff
    cam

3. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

The driveshaft in my jeep in my sig is less than two feet long, probably closer to between 12 and 18". /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Shorter driveshafts can live, even when wheeled hard /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I once built one for a hillclimber application that the actual shaft was less than five inches long. It was the shaft and two constant velocity joints from a cadillac on either end. It was very strong and very flexible. You probably could have run it at a 30 or 40 degree pitch. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Kurt Bolden from last years TTC has a first gen jimmy with a 205/203 doubler and a klune v underdrive with about 6"s of lift and a four linked rear which is very flexy and his rear shaft is right at 13.5"s
    [​IMG]

6. Steve_87K5

13.5" D'shaft w/6" of lift... amazing. I estimate an 18" shaft if I add the GV OD to my present set up. I'm using 4" springs F & R.

Doubtful I could install the doubler plus the GV OD. I have about 60:1 crawl now, which is OK for the wheeling I do (beach sand). Sounds like GV OD makes sense. Need 1800 cruise for future 6.5TD.

Thanks for the input. I'll give HAD a call too.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My front shaft is 27" long or so and with 6" front springs it's at a pretty steep angle.

You'll probably need the italian CV to even think about running one in the teens for length at that kind of angle.

Call Jesse and ask him, he's the expert. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Steve_87K5

My front shaft is OK, stock with some modest grinding on the CV. The rear is expected to go into the teens, because the GV OD mounts to the rear of the 205 and runs OD in 2WD only; no change needed to front shaft with the GV OD.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Doubler will seriously help your front driveline angle. My front shaft operates at a stupid angle. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif