Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shorties or long tubes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Steve, Aug 22, 2005.

1. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I am going to replace my exhaust mainfolds do to the fact that one has a small crack and has a tiny leak (just enough to annoy me) and was wondering what would offer better power.I know that long tubes are supposed to be better but has anybody had expirience with both?I have an 88 k5 with a tbi 350.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All tests I've ever seen show that long tubes do better at low end than shorties.

I doubt many people change between the two on the same engine, that would require a re-work of the exhaust pipes.

If you head over to car craft's web site, they have an article on headers, and dyno tests to back it up.

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

if you wheel alot i would say get the shorty headers because the long tubes hang down alot and can get snagged on rocks or other obstacles

4. BoDapper

BoDapper Registered Member

I would go with the shorties. I've run both and like them better because I got tired of changing gaskets everytime i'd get into a bad bind. Be sure to check on the flange size though. I bought a pair of edlebrock shorties and had to cut off the flange and weld in an insert to get to 2 1/2 " out the header, it came with 2 1/4". Make sure you garbage the stock y pipe if you've still got it also, it'll give ya a little more low-end.

5. gotchevys?

gotchevys? Registered Member

headers

I would also go with the shorties. I have in stalled Dynomax long tbe headers on 2 of my K5s, an 89 and a 77, the collector came VERY close to the bolt on the front shackle. It may have just been the Dynomax headers, maybe a different brand would be different. Based on this when I get around to buying headers for my current 89 Sub I'm planning on buying shorty headers. :burb:

6. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi what kind of shorty headers are you using? are they for a lter model truck?