Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shorty headers on K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stephen, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Anyone done it? I'm ditching the old hedman's and going to manifolds but want to eventually go to a shorty header. How about for a big block? There may be some that would work since crewcabs ran straight axles and 454's up to '91, some subs too I think. Anyone put IFS truck shorty headers on?

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I personally like those shorty headers that Edelbrock make. I have a catalog but cant remember what they list for. They do show part no.s for the newer trucks, 88 and up. I cant see why these wont work on our older trucks. Those Edelbrock headers even come with your choice of AIR injector plugs or not. They have a pretty thick flange to bolt up to the heads. May check them out and try to make something work.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Why are you doing away with the full length hedders? Do they not fit well with a BBC?

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

4. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

Even more I've found a "shorty style/block hugger/center dump" header for us folks running caddy engines, it runs about 250 bones. Can't remember the name of the place but here's the number 1-800-669-2430 can't wait to drop in my 500 HEHEHE

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I was thinking a tri-y might be in my future but I'll be running stock manifolds for some time. Why are you going to the shorty? From most of what I've heard, the shortys do not offer enough improvement over stock manifolds to justify the down-sides of headers (at least not to me)...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I put headman headers on mine (small block). They're not "shorty" headers, but they clear everything really well. They run real close to the oil pan so I'd put an oil cooler on if ya don't have one already. I'll try to get some pics if you want some.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Welcome to the can't find a shorty header for my BBC club Stephen! I've looked everwhere and the only place I've found them is Sanderson http://www.off-road.com/chevy

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I just ordered some Hedman shorty headers yesterday. They are smog legal since I am in CA. Cost a pretty penny, but I think they will be nice. I wanted these because they simply bolt in place of the stock manifolds. I opted for this in case I ever have to switch back to them. That way I won't have to cut or reweld the pipes. These are for a small block, but I know they had big blocks ones because the guy I ordered from pulled out the Hedman catalog and there was a listings for them next to the ones I got. They looked pretty sweet too! :-)

Stephanie
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

9. Shawn

I looked at the Hedman catolog and the only BBC shorty style header they had was for the newer GM IFS trucks with the 7.4 liter. If you find a part # let me know. I've tried every header manufacture for a set of shorties. So far 2 brands of full length headers I've owned has hit the shackles and front drive shaft so I was trying to stay away from them. I'm not sure if its a BBC only problem. I hope these Doug Thorleys work out.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

10. BadDog

Just curious, why do you want the shorty headers? Do they really help much? I've heard and read several times that they are almost no better than stock manifolds. I remember seeing some dyno graphs to back it up but I don't remember the specifics. I guess all I got out of it was this feeling that it is not worth the added trouble of headers for the small gain. I remember comments like, "the only real benefit to the shorty headers is that many bolt in with no pipe mods." I guess with the BBC tight fit you don't have many options but I ran stock manifolds on my old 75 Blazer 454 and never had any problems (well, not with the manifolds). Did I miss something? Is there a good shorty that helps low end substantially?

Bad Dog

11. Shawn

The main reason I want shorty headers is better clearance for everything. It's easier to get a single tube around a few things compared to 4 tubes coming down into the collector which happen to live right next to the shackles and driveshaft. My stock shaft was ok but if you see the article I did on the High Angle shafts, you will see my new 3" front driveshaft is 1/8" away from the header. Not good when you start flexing on the trail. My stock driveshaft was hitting the header many times on the trail along with my shackles. I noticed the small blocks don't have this problem so I think it's a BBC only thing. As far as shorty headers not being any better than exhaust manifolds, I found this on Sandersons site:

http://www.off-road.com/chevy

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Have you looked into porting the stock cast iron manifolds? Either by hand or Extrude Hone? Just two more cents.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

13. BadDog

Yeah, I definitely get the point about space. On my old 454 with stock manifolds, things were still a bit tight. I can also go along with the Sanderson comments about equal length headers. I've always viewed them as appropriate only for racing.

I have had my eyes on a set of small tube tri-y headers, but I wasn't overly motivated even for them. I’ll probably eventually try a set but I got much bigger issues right now, like getting it running [​IMG]. Anyway, seems like the tri-y might be just the thing to fit down the passenger side of your rig. There should only be 2 tubes when it got to the frame rail/starter and I have seen dyno graphs of independent tests where they make nice improvements on the low end compared to stock. Anyway, I expect you have considered the 3Y already.

I wish the Sanderson chart showed a comparison to stock manifolds. I'm very cynical and I know that even if they showed the comparison to "stock" it would be with the config that gives them the best advantage. After all, they are trying to sell something, helping the buyer or giving them what they need is only a means to that end and, as such, it is a secondary concern. But, at least it would be something. The fact that they do not include a baseline makes their graph almost useless except to compare large and small tubes (which is the point of that page). The statement, “significant performance increase compared to stock exhaust manifolds” is very vague and not too comforting to me. The (supposedly) independent dyno tests I saw didn’t show much increase but that was some time ago and probably did not involve this company. I’ll have to try to unpack my magazines soon (we just moved) and find some of these articles I keep remembering.

Anyway, looks like they make a good header (at least they say they do [​IMG] ). I’m still not convinced that they make a big improvement but good luck. I’m sure you’ll keep us posted on ORC. Looking forward to it…

Bad Dog

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Edelbrock makes shorty headers for BBC engines in 4x4 PUs and Subs They have a lot of listings for the 7.4 engine.
    Heres the link to the applications page:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/tes_chart.html>http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/tes_chart.html</A> Maby you can make something work.
    I'm running the TES system on my 89 with a 350. I really like it.Very good power gain.Made my K5 a lot faster 0-60. The TES system is a set of very well built stainless steel shorty headers and new mandrel bent Y pipe. Then i'm running single 3" pipe and a 70 series flowmaster. I highly recomend this system it really works. They claimed it would shave a second off my 0-60 time. It did that, and then some. But I have a lot of other engine mods(MSD,Chip,K&N,TBI mods) I hope this info helps.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Thunder on 03/19/01 10:01 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok...I asked the place today about the BB shortys by Hedman. Turns out these are to be made products. They will be making them, but not until summer? That's the gist of what I got from the parts place. He said if you give me all the info he'd look into it for you and see if he could find something. So let me know? By the way he said you're looking at bucks for them if he can find them, but they do exist....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

16. Shawn

I looked on Edelbrocks site (link that was posted) and I only saw the application for Crew Cab 3500; 4 door 87-89 7.4L TBI w/A.I.R. 2WD only. Didn't see any for the 7.4 liter, 73-87 4WD trucks/blazers. The rest was for the newer GM IFS trucks. Hopefully ChevyCaGal is right and Hedman will come out with a set this summer. Hmmm... Gibson said the same thing. I'm willing to bet it's the same manufacture making these.

Baddog-
    Yeah, I'm actually getting a used set of Doug Thorley Try-Y's compliments of realsquash. As long as they stay out of the way, I'll be happy. The only thing I don't like is the 2.5" collector since I already purchased some 3" tubing and 3" Ultraflow mufflers. I agree that Sanderson should show some baseline stock figures too. As far as Sandersons headers, I was impressed with the quality and the super thick flanges and the collectors.

ChevyCaGal-
    As for info, it's a 87 K5 with a 454 but that didn't come stock so use a 87 4WD Suburban as the application. 73-87 should work. If you want, I can contact him myself.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

17. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It's starting to sound like I'm going to end up with manifolds for at least a little while. I do have the option of doing some trimming on the frame, but nothing huge, so maybe the IFS truck stuff will work.

Big reason for the shorties is for clearance to the driveshaft and suspension links. There's not much room left to run exhaust so they need to be pretty compact.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

18. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Stephen, Chevy ran a stock shorty style manifold on their 454 in the mid 80's on one ton trucks. I believe they were stainless. Not sure of cost though. You could harass the Chevy dealer to find the application and then find them in a salvage yard.
    Mike