Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shorty Headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Mar 21, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I don't want to spend a fortune on these headers, or spend a fortune having a exhaust shop make them fit. It appears the easiest thing to make fit in my truck are the shorty (cheapo) headers. Are these all that bad? If I get a good gasket (or a liquid gasket- i swear i've heard of these, maybe i'm dreaming) I just really want the sound of headers at low end, it'll top of my trucks sound. Any brands to look for- I'll prolly get some super cheapo ones off ebay for temporary use.

Also- I have a basically stock GM Goodwrench 350, and want to run a 256/262 110 sep cam in there, is that too lobey? I want basically the most power out of that- in conjunction with a big single plane manifold (to come later)

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

the only shorty's i've found to fit any pre-'92 blazer are made by jba headers. the cheapest i've found them for is at www.truckfarm.com click on performance and then jba. they are about $340 or so on there i think. if you can find them else where let me know. for the price of these headers you could almost redo your whole exhaust with long tube headers and pure dual exhaust.

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I am running flow tech headers on my SB they were only 125
    but you can get hooker comps for under 150

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't want to spend a fortune on these headers,

[/ QUOTE ] Remember, you get what you pay for. I have to live with stock till I can save up for the good stuff. My plans for the exhaust is: Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers , into a set of these , then I'll tuck the dual exhaust (2.25') up high and solidly mount it. I do want a "H" pipe to connect both sides. Ofcorse a pair of Flowmaster 40 series mufflers for that very mean sound. But I'll be saving up for a while, so I won't have it anytime soon.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hedman makes shorties. I has a set ordered. But they were taking forever (the store was backordered) so I cancelled them and went with TES Edelbrock ones... the Hedman ones I saw came with a Y pipe as well and were like $375...

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i saw those too, but for about the same cost give or take, i could put a full dual setup on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with dual cats and long tube headers and still be smog legal here in Nev. me personally, i would rather have pure duals than have a Y-pipe for my truck, that's just my opinion, though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

this is the last step in my exhaust- i already have true duals with 2.5" pipes into 40 Flows with no cats (don't tell the EPA) and this is the finishing touch.