Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shot gun choke tube question???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Jan 9, 2005.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Can someone show me a pic of a choke tube in a shotgun, I have no idea where they screw in to the barrel, I mean I have a good idea how they work but have never actually seen one...:confused: I just read an article on them and am still baffled, the article claimed all modern shotguns should come ready for a choke to be inserted and I have 2 mossbergs and I don't think so....

2. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Don't have a picture but it is nothing more than 3 or 4 inch sleeve that threads into the end of the barrel. Most that come with the shotgun fit flush with the end of the barrel but some aftermarket ones can extend out a couple inches. If your shotguns came with a choke tube you would also have a type of tool to remove the tube. I beleive some shotguns are still manufactured with fixed chokes. Hope this helps.:thumb:

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Can't help with a pic. "Choke Tube" is an apt description, they are tubes and they screw inside the muzzle of a shotgun. The muzzle end of them has some sort of slotted feature to allow a special wrench to turn them.

If your Mossbacks are of the defence variety (ATP-6, ATP-8, etc.) they won't have choke tube provisions. Some barrels are thick enough at the muzzle to allow a Gunsmith to bore and thread them for tubes. Usually less spendy to buy a barrel already set-up for tubes if available for your model.

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I lurk around on WWW.SHOTGUNWORLD.COM a little. Might post up for pic over there. If your gun(s) have a couple of small notches in the end of the barrel, that would be for the choke wrench.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ahh thanks guys, I was invisioning them being placed at the breach not the muzzle, makes more sense now, and I have seen pics of the tubes but never one installed or even a barrel that would accept one...;)

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Fumes, join the permanent full chocke club, for people who can hit things they aim at

Gwahahahahaha

8. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Most all sporting shotguns come with the standard Full, Modified, and Improved Cylinder choke tubes. Recently major manufacturers have started offering the in-between restrictions like IM, LM, CYL. Aftermarket tubes are available in intermediate sizes and some even boast to do fancy things like slow the wad down or increase shot density at certain distances.
    BTW - Shooting through a barrel that is threaded for choke tubes without having one installed is a bad idea.