Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shot Peening?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Anyone know a place in AZ to get things shot peened? Kurt said this might help make my Yukons stronger. If you know a place how much to get a set of axles & ujoints done?

Harley

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Harley,

Shot peening is a very interesting process. I think you'd have to find a company who has experience peening the kind of parts you're dealing w/... - in this case axles.

Reason I say this is cuz for each new part that is peened, you need to develop a "saturation" curve for it. This will require peening of test parts, coupons, and measurement of the depth of the affected zone.. (I forget what it's called... :thinking: ). Anywho, my point is that its not really that simple - and "over" peening of a part will actually make it weaker than what you started w/..... :eek:

Get your $$ back and buy some superiors.

Marv

3. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

Try those yukons again and see what happens. Im starting to get a little irritated with them myself actually.. Mikey brought in a stub with twisted splines last week and he BENT a rear! Im givin em one more good run before I start looking into why theyre failing.

4. Hossbaby50

They are definitly going to get another go around since I can't afford to buy anything else right now. I have my fingers crossed that I got a bad set or something but time will tell. I will try and keep the easy pedal mentality and pray for the best. My luck isn't very good in life so I will expect the worst. :crazy:

Harley

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I take it you broke a yukon shaft?

6. marv_springer

We have several examples of broken/bent shafts front and rear. One buddy [Mikey] broke a front and bent a rear one 1 trip. Yukon has a problem. Hell... even if I was making these, I'd want to know if they had problems like this.

We need to document what's been broken and write them a nice letter.

Marv

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Kyle,

You know, Parker is going to be the test again with the whole Yukon shaft thing again.

Remember Marv and myself bought a complete set of spare shafts and I have it in on my short side???

What is Yukon saying???? It's not looking good with the whole breakage thing.

I will be by the shop this week and we can talk. There is some serious concern regarding these shafts and the quality of them????

Rob

8. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

Agreed! Ill see you this week.. Where ya been, its been a while!?!??

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My understanding is that Yukon is aware of a problem and I think there might even be two versions of their the shafts. I was only paying about half ass attention when I was being told this so I can't remember.

This may even only apply to D60 stuff to.

I don't really know for sure. Let me hit up the bro and see what he knows.

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Cris (ford truggy) broke both of his yukon D60 30 spline rears withing about 10 feet of each other. One broke in loose rock while the tire was spinning slowly. The splines were twisted but they broke at about a 15° angle.

11. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

I thought those were superiors! Either way theyre a few years old, under a 7k truck with a v8 and a doubler.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Cris's rear axle are yukons put in the day before parker, not even 6 months old.

YUKON = BRUKON

I will never buy another yukon product nor reccomend them. Kyle start talking to alloy usa.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Any input on the ring and pinions ? My 4.56 rear are Yukon .

14. marv_springer

Ya know.... I hate to just jump on the bandwagon, but Mikey has bent up BOTH of his rear 12b shafts. I'd swear that I've treated STOCK rear shafts worse than he's pushed those.

There's a problem w/ their stuff....!

Marv

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

That is what I am thinking. Harley has pounded stockers harder than his yukons. Cris's stock rears lasted 30+ years (3 years locked, 1 year truggied) and then broke.

I am not wanting to start a bandwagon but as a group we have broken something yukon every weekend we go out. That says something. I want to know if they have an explanation for this or is it a "it is warrantied, what is the big deal attitude"

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have heard they are okay. I just don't know how much I want to support yukon. I guess it depends on how thier attitude towards kyle and eric is.

17. Hossbaby50

Eric said that Yukon admitted that my broken shaft was due to a heat treating issue. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt until there is no doubt left. With the weight & torque of our trucks chromo's are not a cure all they are a bandaid. My next set of bandaids better last longer though. :D

Harley

18. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine just bought a set of these. Should we return 'em and get a refund or what?

19. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Run 'em. They haven't had one question about the warranty. I will say they stand behind that. You put a 7K rig on the rocks something is gonna give. I was more irritated at harleys experience than anything. We'll see.

20. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

Damn!

The next big run will be a determining factor here. I see a pattern and it doesnt look good for yukon. They have very good customer service and stand behind their product, but their **** keeps breakin!

Paul, dont worry about your r&p.. Gears are gears in my opinion. Unless you have a billion ponies under the hood and 53" military tires, you wont have any more problems with any brand than the other.