Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shot peening!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wally81k5, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone, quick question here. Would it be a good idea for me to shot peen my axles? or any other part of my trcuk for that matter. I do shot peening at work i just wonder if it would benefit me on my axles and stuff? Anybody know about this?

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Shot peening is used on connecting rods to help stop cracks from forming. If I understand correctly it creates surface tension and compresses the molecules. so what the hell, if it's free go for it! I dont think it can hurt.... just dont shot peen the splines or bearing surfaces. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

BTW: what do you shot peen?

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

What I know about shot peen is that when you add it to a surface you are increasing the surface area. If you were to measure the surface area of a 1” flat piece of steel with a laser it would measure 1” across, now if you shot peen that surface and measure it, you would get a larger number; the shot will add valleys to the surface and in effect increase the area of that surface.
    But your probably just doing this to clean and paint the axel, if you have a large enough booth go for it. And I’ll send you mine too…

4. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

What shot peening does is it forms a layer of compression on the surface of a peice of metal, and prevents cracks from starting at the surface. The compressive stress it induces is good for preventing fatigue stress, and torsion stress (which would be made when you walk on the skinny pedal) in the axles. Has anyone seen this done to axles? I know the splines and the bearing surfaces would have to be left alone, but then where do axles usually snap?

5. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

I beleive wally 81K5 is thinking about shot peening the axle shafts, not the housing.Not sure how much penetration you would get by shotpeening an axle shaft that has been heat treated.

6. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, i am talking about the axles shafts. What i really need to know is where do they most commonly break? I'm not to worried about a rear axles, just front 10 bolts and D44's. Any body got pictures of their broken axles? I have seen some tests that result in metal being 10x stronger when shot peened and if i can do this well i may have some seriously strong 10 bolt axles.

So... if you have snapped a 10 bolt or 44 let me know! Inner axles and outers?! Let me know please.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have not busted any front shafts, but from what I have seen, they twist off where the splines meet the shaft, and break at the ears (whatever you call them) which hold the u-joints in.