Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shotgun buying advice needed quick!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Nov 10, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, I'm taking my dad pheasant hunting when he comes up here saturday. I want to buy him a shotgun for christmas and let him shoot it over the weekend, then take it home for him over the holidays. I just want a good all around bird gun, clay target shooter, and something that he can knock around. He already has a Belgium Browning 20 ga, this will be his 12 gauge hunter hopefully. I have $400 tops to spend. I'm looking at the Remington 870 Express (which I currently own as well), Mossberg 835, Browning BP62? pump, but am open to others. I wouldn't mind getting him a good autoloader but am not sure I can do so in my price range. I need to buy this gun in the next couple days. I've got a place nearby that sells nice used weapons as well. I could probably pull a used 870 wingmaster in my budget, but it would be close. What would you guys buy and why?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I like Mossbergs, my present gun is a Mossberg and I want to get a 12 guage Mossberg for a bird gun. Autoloading is nice(my mossberg is semi) but if your good with a pump it doesn't matter.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll 2nd the Mossberg. I have a pistal grip Mossberg, not a hunting gun, more of a home defence gun, but one of the best 12 gauges I've ever owned.

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I Love my 870. I've probably had 3 or 4 them over the years and have always been happy with them.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I would pick the 870 Wingmaster.

I have 2 of them and I couldn't be happier. I got mine specifically for pheasant hunting since they are so light.

Nice and smooth action and you can pick up different types of barrels almost anywhere.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i like my mossberg... $200-ish from Big 5. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I shoot Ruger Red Label, but for that price range go with the Remington, good all around gun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's what I learned on. I've had two Mossturds and I will never own one again. The two I've had were very unreliable(single shot). Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got a Remington 870 Express also, i've had it for a few yrs and am very happy with it for an all around shotgun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I shoot an 870 express and an 870 wingmaster. Both awesome guns...can't go wrong with Remington.

I vote for the 870.

(I'm going to be getting an 1187 super mag - that's their auto-loader 12 gauge that will take 3 1/2's...turkeys, here I come /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well I went to look at lunch and put my hands on several guns...Man I do like that 870 Wingmaster. Just feels like quality. I think I'm going to go over budget a bit at $470 but I dont want to buy crap...They have a used one that's nice for $400, but there's just something about new! I can't wait to give it to him!

Bryan

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Remington! Even the po po trust their lives to it.

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I'm a Winchester man myself, owned a Mossberg 835, like the Winchester 1300 better. Both good guns really. I worked in a gun store for many years and in all reality there wasn't any one gun brand that came in for repair more than another. Benelli Nova is a nice one but pretty close to your money limit.

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I vote Remington too. I really like my 870 SP....

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

benelli.
    i forget the model number right now for some reason, but they offer a semi auto that can fire off 9 shells accutately before the first empty shell hits the ground. the Marine Corps uses them. i have put about 500 rounds through one. easy to clean, works great if its dirty, light weight for a semi auto with 9 total capacity. civilian model has 7 total, but you can buy the expansion tube. this thing can be used for target shooting, hunting, home security or we were drunk and had a box of shells fun.
    costy though.
    1200 dollars.
    Grant

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    the Marine Corps uses them.

[/ QUOTE ]

since when? i never saw a benelli in the armory when i was in. is this a new developement?

j

16. Seventy4Blazer

here it is....
    M1014. for some odd reason i couldnt remember the model number of it.
    this thing is bada$$. if i had 1200 bux i would go buy one.
    like i said, when loaded right it can hold 8 shells. 7 in the tube, one in the basket and one in the chamber. you can then aim in, turn off the safe and pull the trigger fast enough to fire off all 9 shells before the first cartridge hits the ground. and accurately. it has a recoil supression that works fairly well.
    the militairy has the model that has the collapsable but stock. you can comfortably fire it extended or collapsed.
    this thing ROCKS. they just got them about a year ago.
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Yes, he'll be happy with it. Nice shotgun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Seventy4Blazer

yeah... he will like it. i missed the 400 dollar limit in the first post....
    oops.
    Grant

20. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

personally I found that I am a MUCH better shot with my dads OLD shotgun. It may be because the gun is like 6"tall. Whatever you decide to get get as much barell length as possible, but thats just my opinion.

Nick