Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shotgun Opinions/Advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Jan 21, 2006.

?

What should I Do

1. Continue To Hunt with my 1300

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Get A Benelli Nova

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Get another winchester shotgun

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Get different Gun

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Im naked and I kill pheasants with a slingshot and a stone

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

As you guys may have heard, Winchester is closing down the 1300 line of pump shot guns, I bought one a year used in the fall of 2004. This year it acted up on me and one of these weekends im going to tear it clear and and give it the cleaning of its life. My question is now that the 1300s are done...do I self it along with my 1200 and Model twelve...or do I continue to hunt with it. Its in near immaculate shape, small scractch in the stock from when I got it but I used some Hoppe 9 stuff and you cant see it now.

My thought is either get whatever new pump Winchester comes out with...if they do, or get a Benelli Nova. What are your guys opinions.

And also gentlemen, at this point I only hunt Pheasant with 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch. Although I would like to try Deer and Goose possibly. All options are in 12 gauge also.

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

So, how many bazilian 1300's were made? How many years till it increases in value?!?! If ever??? Handing it down to future generations is the only reason I'd shelf it. Not even sure if I would anyway.

On the other hand, getting a new gun is COOL

Never heard anything to bad about Nova's...Just remember they aren't a show piece, they're all buisness. They're pretty light, translation, they can kick pretty good with a heavy load. Also, they can have some rattling issues but if that doesn't bother you (it wouldn't bother me) I say go for it. We should go shooting sometime and you can shoot my Red Label....It'll turn you to the dark side:D

And with the new shot shells out, you don't need anymore than a 2 3/4" gun.

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ive shot a couple Novas and liked em, and yes getting a new gun is COOL, That and I can get a Nova in Realtree...not that a I need to but then again cool factor, it wont be till this summer anyway.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dang I wish I had time to go shoot pheasants....

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

We got lots, just don't tell no body, ok!

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have a few around here I flush when walking the dogs to get the mail, so I guess just seeing some every other day will have to work for me, the wife would throw a fit if I found a NEW hunting trip to take...:doah:

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I got a black 26" NOVA that i got a year ago. I mostly only shoot skeet and trap with it. But ive put soo many rounds through that thing with out cleaning it and it still works perfect. Its the easiest gun to take completly apart and clean. Its nice cuz i can shoot 2 3/4" shots at the range and then in the woods go shoot some 3 1/2" slugs or whatever. With the rattling issues, thats just the pump and its just like anyother pump. Also chokes are kinda hard to find, ive never seen them in any outdoors/gun stores around here, you have to order them. I love mine and wouldnt trade it for any other pump.

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I dont think you can beat an 870 if you like pump guns.

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

My Mossberg doesn't rattle unless I thump the pump... :dunno:

Course, it's not a hunting arm...

10. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

Wow, seems to be a lot of naked people with slingshots. I hope this is co-ed.:D

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

We can only hope their using cherries as ammo...

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love my 870. :thumb:

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Another vote for an 870 if you're looking for a different gun. We had a nova...good gun but not worth the hype. I've beat my remington six ways from sunday, frozen it, dropped it, and it's still my turkey/pheasant/duck/goose/slug/clay gun. If you like your 1300, stick with it unless it seriously messes up.

14. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

+1 for the 870.

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

870, I told you

16. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

i got an 870 express, and love it. my father had gotten his 870 back in 1977 and loves it, when he got a mosberg 500, he couldnt get use to it, so he went back to the 870, only reason he got the 500 was he wanted interchangleable chokes with a shorter barrel, and it was as much as getting a new barrel. however iu say dont shelf the 1300 casu there was sooo many produced, and i like my 1300 also, but i like the 870 more. but the gun that i really like is the super black eagle by benelli. about 4 of the guys in our group have them and they are awsome...

17. Icemanf4i

Icemanf4i Registered Member

Finally a question i know something about. As a avid upland and duck hunter i would say the best all around shotgun for the price is the Beretta extrema 2

http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotlight/spotlight_xtrema2_main.htm

I say this because it is made by the parent company Beretta whop makes other quality firearms like Benelli , this gun is excelent because it can be used for any application Upland , duck, goose, turky, target etc. It handles 2-3/4 to the mother load 3-1/2 and is very well handled through each type of round the recoil is improves with the new gas system and the recoil pad in the stock. the only issue i have with it is the weight but its not really a noticable factor after using it a few times. This gun runs about $1000 and is well worth the money. I also own several 870's but the beretta is by far the better choice

18. mikey_d05

Not to flame you here bud but just as you said, the Beretta is around $1k...that's damned expensive when I can get a used 870 super mag (2 3/4" - 3 1/2") for around $200. Yep, it's an auto to pump comparison but a used SBE can be had for $750 - $800 as well.

19. Icemanf4i

Icemanf4i Registered Member

yes but the super mag is know to have malfunction issues when using 3-1/2 loads on a consistant basis plus if your spending 800 ona super the extra saving of the 200 for the beretta is still better option because of the durability and new technology it offers . remember this shotgun was built around the 3" mag loads where as other guns put the option of a 3" load in as a after thought.

20. mikey_d05

OK hold up, you're speaking of two different guns. The 870 super mag is a pump. I haven't heard of it malfunctioning once and I wouldn't expect it to. The day a pump gun of mine doesn't function reliably, the gun goes in the trash. I bought mine about a year after I got my first youth model shotgun and have been shooting it since. Pigeons to geese and everything in between have been done (turkey and deer too) with it and it has yet to screw up.

If you're referring to the Benelli all around, I've honestly never heard of one malfunctioning. I'm sure it's happened somewhere but two of my extended family members have been shooting them ever since I can remember on everything from quail to geese and I've never heard a complaint. Also I believe the SBE was originally designed with versatility in mind, meaning all shells. Don't quote me on that since it's been a while since I've seriously looked at them but with an action like that I don't think it was engineered with only a 2 3/4" in mind.

I do know more about the original poster so I guess that gives me a little insight into this one. A $1k gun would be a little overzealous for him right now. Don't get me wrong, autoloaders do have their place, but the $700 - $800 difference is enough to keep me ramming my own shells home.