Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should i be able to hear chain noise in 203 transfer case?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Terminaltsi, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Terminaltsi

Terminaltsi Registered Member

while driving i hear what i'm pretty sure is the chain, and it gets louder on decel and even squeeks while on the throttle. it's full of oil and it's still working properly, but what does it need?

2. Terminaltsi

anybody?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    while driving i hear what i'm pretty sure is the chain, and it gets louder on decel and even squeeks while on the throttle. it's full of oil and it's still working properly, but what does it need?

[/ QUOTE ] I hear mine also. Mine doesn't squeek when on the gas, but I hear it when I'm off the gas.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

u check the fluid level lately? i have changed mine once when i first got my truck and it had a np203 in it....

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I check it each time I change the oil, just a good habit too get in to in my opinion. But yeah, it's full.

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I thought the 203 was gear driven. Oh well, another fact I have wrong.

ALso look at your driveshaft angle. I have heard that if it's wrong you will hear a noise from the tcase even if you don't have any vibration. Of course take advice from me with a grain of salt as you can see from my first statement. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought the 203 was gear driven. Oh well, another fact I have wrong.

ALso look at your driveshaft angle. I have heard that if it's wrong you will hear a noise from the tcase even if you don't have any vibration. Of course take advice from me with a grain of salt as you can see from my first statement. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] It's the 205 that's gear drive. The 203 is a full time chain drive transfer case. I know I have a driveshaft angle issue, so that could be it. I'm planning on correcting that problem when I swap in the 14 Bolt FF. Might just get a CV added to the driveshaft. It wouldn't break the bank to have a new driveshaft made if need be. Thanks, I didn't even think of driveshaft angles.

8. Terminaltsi

so nobody knows for sure if it's normal to hear the chain?

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I hear an average of 40 noises every time I drive mine, so I'm sure one of them has to be the chain /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I hear an average of 40 noises every time I drive mine, so I'm sure one of them has to be the chain /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

[/ QUOTE ] Damn, can't get any more honest then that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Does this vehicle have a radio? You need to do what my shop teacher told me to do in high school whenever i asked him what a specific noise was.. Turn the radio up and you dont have to worry about it!!! Cars make noises when it breaks then youll know what was wrong with it!!! Pretty good philosophy till things started breaking and he failed to mention how much they cost!!! Mine dont make any noises that i know of but ill no more this weekend when i get it back together.

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I can hear a "whine" coming out of my 208 under certain conditions. I never used to be able to hear it when I had floor covering in my truck. But anyway, it appears at 30-40mph when I let off the pedal and coast. It's not as predominant if there is actual drag caused by engine braking. I'm guessing my transfer case has about 40,000 miles in 4x4 on it (plow truck) so I figured things were just wore.

No squeaking though. I'd look at other sources for a squeak like the universals and the boot around the shifter.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it's still fulltime put it low (not lock) get on a steep hill and put the skinny peddle to the floor. If you hear bang, bang, bang it's the chain jumping teeth and it's time for a new one.

14. Terminaltsi

[ QUOTE ]
    If it's still fulltime put it low (not lock) get on a steep hill and put the skinny peddle to the floor. If you hear bang, bang, bang it's the chain jumping teeth and it's time for a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

will do.

i like the idea of the radio, but i like to fix things beofre they break. i've learned that they usually like to break when i don't have the time or money to fix them, so whil ei do have th etime and money, i'd rather prevent it.

15. Terminaltsi

haven't tried the low hill climb yet, but i did find that the t case wants to pop out of low lock unless i hold the lever in. any idea about that?

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, that shifter is out of adjustment or you're low on oil.