Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Aug 21, 2006.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I'm going to look at a new -to-me truck on Wednesday because I've come to the conclusion I'll never finish the Beast. Even after loosing my job and having all the time in the world. :rolleyes: But I digress......

So I'm going to look at a 79 3/4 ton. From what I can tell by the pics it's got a 14bff rear and the typical 10 bolt 8 lug front. Here's where my concern starts. He's listed it as having 5.13s and Detroits front & rear. I'm not worried about the 14b, but should I be concerned about the front? Did I mention it's on 42" TSLs? Is this an axle snapper just waiting to happen? Or is it geared so low that it should be ok?

I got a 60 that'll go in eventually, I'll just need to regear it to 5.13 to match. But I have a big weekend trailride coming up and I don't want my first big run with it to be a disaster.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If its a good price and you already have a 60 to put in then my advise is this, Buy the truck, take it to a local wheelin test spot, beat on it like you would far from home and if it breaks you know what to do..Gear that 60 and throw it in. If you happen to miss your trail ride, dont worry there will be plenty more with your 60. If you dont break then I would take a spare set of shafts and joints for sure!

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

10b + locker + 42s = disaster. turning is goin to be hard w/o hydro assist on the trails as well. if its mud u might be alright, but hard trails/rocks where there is going to be rocking or hopping, be aware

4. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I do plan on taking it on a few test trips first. luckily I have about a month before the big trip. And I plan on bringing MULTIPLE spare shafts. :D

5. muddybuddy

then wheel it like you stole it :) since you got a d60 at home you dont have to worry really. once the 10b is done swap it in :)

6. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

the 10 bolt will die unless you drive like an old lady...a REALLLLLLLY old lady. Like one that can't get in your truck and wheel it.

7. muddybuddy

take lots of pics, should have plenty of good carnage pics ;)

8. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Great! not sure if you guys are helping or encouraging me to break it!! :doah: :haha:

9. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Better to have a "planned" failure than an unplanned failure. Of course, it's better yet to swap in the D60 now and have no failure at all.

10. muddybuddy

ok....in all honesty, the first time you hit the gas hard on the trail with a locker in the 10b ur going to break. if not the first time, the second time it will. that being said, its not a big deal. 14b wiyth detroit and 42" tsls will get you through alot in 2wd. i would keep it out of 4wd as much as possible.

11. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The lower the gear the easier it is to break a shaft. One run on 44's with 4.56 gears destroyed the inner short shaft. next trip out with warn HD shafts, same results, just more expensive. I run a dana 60 now.

12. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately I don't have the money to regear the 60 right now. And luckily I picked a pretty easy trail for it, so I'm not doing anything too extreme.

I have a feeling this thing was a mall crawler.

13. muddybuddy

with 42s and a 10b, mall crawler would be a safe assumption. what i dont understand is why he would go through the trouble putting a locker in the front. maybe it was only driven on the beach.

14. balterbuilt

he put the locker in the front to be cool

15. muddybuddy

but if it was a mall crawler, he could just lie to people, they would never know the difference.

well im sure you could take the locker out after you swap in the 60 and sell it to a guy who got a built c10 or something and needs a little more help hookin up on the street.

16. balterbuilt

r u sure there is a locker inthe front of it? I've seen some show rigs with lockers in them....people like to spend $$$$

17. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about some pics of this beast?

Wanna trade the 42's for some 40's? :D