Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should I be driving with this leaf spring? (pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Feb 28, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Well here it is, what you think?

http://home.attbi.com/~anatomiczero/images/leafspring2.jpg

----------------------------------
    80' GMC Jimmy 4x4, 350-TH350-NP205

2. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I think it is drivable if it's not the main leaf, but if that falls out everything is going to be loose. I wouldn't drive it like that.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Those leaves won't hurt to drive on. It's the MAIN leaf, on the very top that bolts to the hangers and shackles, that you need to worry about.

In other words, if the MAIN leaf is broke, REPLACE it. If they are the leaves UNDER the main leaf, you can drive on them fine. But try to replace them soon. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

Wow, that looks pretty serious. If I were you, I wouldn't drive it to the end of the driveway. I exagerated a little bit but seriously don't drive it. It's not worth killing yourself.

Go to a junkyard and get a replacement if it is stock. I am sure they don't charge much for a used spring. Better yet!! It looks like it is time for that lift since you are replacing the spring!!

Nick

My Truck <a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79>http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79</a>

5. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I'll keep my answer short. NO.......just my .02 jesse

78 K-10 383, TH-350, NP-203, Dana 70 front, GM 14bolt Rear, 4.56 gears(underconstruction) 78 k-5 stock and rusty

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I had the same problem with mine a couple of years ago. I just pulled out the broken leaf and pulled out the same leaf on the other spring pack. I can't tell is that one or two leaves you broke?

Corey 78K5
    350CI, TH350, 203, Dana 44,12 Bolt, 4"lift, Shackel Flip, Sawsall and 35" BFG's

7. anatomiczero

Two leafs are broken. How hard would it be for me to replace them (shouldn't I do both sides for same height?) and how much should it cost? Les Schwab quoted me $392. I would love to get a lift but money is VERY tight for me (work 10 hrs a week at mcdonalds) So I'm thinking Have Les Schwab put in new leafs, then when I can lift it use 2.5" blocks and new springs up front.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Where are you at in Washington? I have a set of 3/4 ton rear springs out of a suburban. When I had two broken ones on my 79 Jimmy I used a set off a 3/4 ton truck and just mixed and matched the leafs til I got the right height I wanted. If you are planning a lift I wouldn't put money into those springs. Actually I have a set of 1/2 ton rears also for the right price..dirt cheap and they can be yours.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/55WillysWagon4x4.htm>damn thing</a>!!

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah Phil , fill out your profile...[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Screw that, no way should you pay that much IMHO. You could get new lift springs for that (but then you'd need other things for the lift). Just go get some springs from a junk yard (or better yet, someone in your area that just put on lift springs and will sell you their old ones CHEAP) and put them in yourself. I just bought a pair of springs for $60 form a junkyard, you can do better with an individual. It's very easy to do, only problem is rusty bolts.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

See? Several offers in the time it took me to type that. [​IMG] Good luck. Oh, you can drive on it if the main leaf is not yet broke, but not very much. With the other springs broken, the main is likely getting close. Also, with those leafs broken, the stress on the main has increased dramatically so that will further shorten it's life.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

12. anatomiczero

"Where are you at in Washington? I have a set of 3/4 ton rear springs out of a suburban. When I had two broken ones on my 79 Jimmy I used a set off a 3/4 ton truck and just mixed and matched the leafs til I got the right height I wanted. If you are planning a lift I wouldn't put money into those springs. Actually I have a set of 1/2 ton rears also for the right price..dirt cheap and they can be yours."

I live in Auburn, by Federal Way and Kent. How much would you want for the 1/2 ton? Same size as mine 52"?

Oh, and I've been driving on it for atleast 3 months, maybe even a year+ It just slipped my mind when I saw it 3 mo. ago because I had other things going on. Thanks for the help everyone. How do I supprt the truck with jackstands on the axle?

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

They have an overload spring in them so how does $50 sound?
    yes they are 52's.
    Put the truck back on the ground and lift the truck with a bumper jack and place stands under your hitch or rear frame. remove the spring packs, install new packs and away you go..well kinda just have to add all the wd-40 or liquid wrench to get the bolts to move,LOL.

Would you be interest in meeting half way since shipping wouldn't be worth it. Or even drop them off and give you a hand since my rear bumper is in Milton at my friends house[​IMG]

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/55WillysWagon4x4.htm>damn thing</a>!!

14. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt drive anymore than really needed, cause like was said now you are putting more stree on the leaves that are not broken. to repair, you could get a pair of junkyard spring pretty cheap, like prob 50 bucks. a pair of new from jcwhitney is like $180. if your experience, ability and tools is limited, you can support the axle on stands, remove the tires, and then jack the frame up to remove the weight from the springs, then remove the u-bolts and the center pin and seperate the pack, and just replace the lower leaves. getting the spring shackle bolts out can be a real BIG PAIN. i just did mine yesterday, and it took about 3 hours including using a blowtorch.
    also go to the product reviews page and read the article about installing ord add a leafs, it would be the same process as replaceing the lower leaves and leaving the top leaf in place.
    this is something you should be able to do yourself in the driveway on a good saturday with some basic handtools and some sweat and tears
    good luck

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

15. anatomiczero

Milton is pretty close to where I am. Can you tell me more about the overload spring? Is it just another spring attached to the top to handle more weight? So I'll need to get a a jack for my bumper, What do I use to raise the jack stands, cynder blocks?

I have to talk this over with my dad first, then I'll let you know what I'm doing. (he might rather have a shop do it and pay for it himself) The jimmy isn't "officialy" mine until I grad. HS but I'm fixing it up.
    80' GMC Jimmy 4x4, 350-TH350-NP205<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by anatomiczero on 02/28/02 07:55 PM.</FONT></P>

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

The overload spring is in the bottom of the pack . just a thicker spring. it raises the spring rate for heavier loads, it also puts the arch back into old springs. I can pull them off if you want.
    How tall are your stands? my big set go to 31" fully extended
    I also have a hi-lift bumber jack.

<hr></blockquote>

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I once drove on a suburban for a couple of months with 1 broken leaf and didn't even notice except for an occassional clanging noise with the window open that I couldn't explain.

It's OK to drive on lightly for a while (like to go get parts) but there is really just that one leaf holding your axle on. If the other ones broke, hasn't this one seen a lot of stress, too?

The only trick with swapping springs or leaves is getting the truck level. Of course, by now, you are probably used to seeing it crooked. I would replace the whole spring pack, plus that is only 2 bolts harder than just swapping in new leaves.

<font color=green>Want to see a happy guy? Look at me as soon as my new wheels and tires arrive!</font color=green>

18. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

It is best to replace both springs. Back when I was in High school, I had a furd truck (the only furd I have ever owned---it was free). I had the same thing happen with one or the rear springs. Being a broke student, I could only afford to replace one. Within 2 months, the other side spring broke just like the first.
    Definatly replace both at the same time.

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

19. anatomiczero

I think I'll replace the whole thing now, just take it to Les Schwab and not have to worry about it. Dad probably wouldn't want to do it ouselves anyway. Thanks for the offer though 55Willy

20. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Sound's like a good time to lift it. Rough Country 4" kit is $460.00+shipping. Comes with new front springs, new shocks, rear springs, steering arm, and hardware.