Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should i bother with 66 chev 1 ton? *2wd*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mackinsaw, Feb 3, 2006.

1. mackinsaw

mackinsaw Newbie

ok, heres the deal, my grandfather has a 66 chevy 1 ton that has been sitting in the garage for....a very long time so it has minimale rust. but they cemented the floor in it so they had to move it outside, where it currenty sits in grass beside a ditch. it doesn't have a box, it has a flat bed that looks to be homemade. its on a one ton frame so it would be good for wheelin' its also 2wd with a solid front axel that looks like it wouldn't be to hard to swap out. i can get a 403 buick engine from my cousine for real cheap because he's moving out of town. the rear axel isn't a dual wheel either. he would give the truck to me for free. what do you guys think?? what are some major concerns or things i should look out for? can you still get lift kits for these?

thanks,
    mackinsaw

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

It would take alot of work to make this a wheeler. Lots of money, lots of time, lots of parts. This is a very cool year of truck though, but if it where my truck I'd use it for a tow rig or other type work truck and get something more main stream for a wheeler. Just my .02. Did I mention I love these old chevy's? I had a 64' chevy 1/2 ton with the custom trim package, long box, 4-speed, 350,nice truck untill my exwife wrecked it.:mad:
    If you have yor heart set on building this truck I think what Mount.ex. said about useing a later model rolling chassis and swapping the body over would be the best way to go.
    Any way whatever you do deff. grap this truck, old iron is like money in the bank.;)

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think swapping in the 403 would be more work than using the current engine, inless itsa 6 cylinder. As far as putting a 4wd front in, measure the current spring pad width and go from there. If it's 32 or so you can swap in an axle. Trans/transfer case would be easy. I like this body style as well, I have a 62 4wd suburban that it seems will never get done. I think it would be a cool driver or hauler, parts chaser or whatever. [​IMG]

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure I wouldn't bother trying to use that frame. Wheelbase is different from a pickup. Sounds like a 10,000 GVWR model if it has an I-beam front... makes me wonder if it uses something other than 8-lug wheels, and maybe the 6.17 axle ratio :eek1:

I would do a complete chassis swap to something newer and already 4x4. They fit well up to '72, and the Burb/K5 up to '91.

A buddy of mine put my old '60 cab onto this '72 C20 frame. Pretty much a bolt-on. pic

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

That sounds scarily like me... My Grand dad gave me a '66 1/2 ton c-10... 2wd of course.. I had all the plans in my head when I was 15 and threw tons of money at it from that time untill I turned about 17. I had lots of fun just messing around with this truck, but in the end I realized, with my MONEY, SKILLS, and TOOlS, this truck was not going to be a 4x4. I dumped tons of money into performance parts for the old 283 (a few of which I'm gonna use on my suburban.) My recommendations would be to take the free truck and just save it back untill one day when you can restore it as a really nice 2wd. I would get a decent job and try to find a dirt cheap 4x4 from the 70's or 80's, and do as much research as you possibly can on this website.

The bottom line... you can never have to many trucks.. I LOVE that body style... one day you should restore it and make something you will always be proud of. I would not try to make it a wheeler, as it will probably just end up a piece of dissasembled crap under an oak tree, as do 90% of huge projects taken on by people without alot of resources. Save up and find a cheap 4x4 like I did. I paid $1000 for my burb... What's ironic is, I found out about the suburban being for sale when I was taking somebody on a ride in my old '66 :rolleyes: So everything happens for a reason I guess, because without the old '66 I would not have the burb.. and now I'm just robbing parts off the old truck for the motor of the burb... I'm just saving the old truck back for when I have the money and tools to do a frame off resoration (when I'm 40 years old probably :haha: )
    Hope my ramblings have helped you. I just wanted you to know that I have been in you exact situation once, and maybe you can learn from some of my mistakes (dumping money into something that was never meant to be a 4x4).
    thanks,
    James

7. mackinsaw

mackinsaw Newbie

thanks for the replies guys, i think i'll just leave the flat bed on there and use to haul my snowmobiles and other toys. i do plan on painting it flat black (just a rattle can job) because it would look kinda sweet. then one day when i find a good 4x4 frame to put it on i'll do so. but untill then i can get a 76 ramcharger (sorry chevy guys) all set up for muddin' with a 4in lift and 33's and many other things for like 600$

8. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

sounds like a plan :D