Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should I buy a metro?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Oct 26, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I've wanted one of these for a while... just to commute in. The way my 94 Ranger runs these days, I prolly get 20mpg back and forth between home and the train station... why spend that $? There is a guy in Portland with a Geo Metro Xfi for $350 obo. He says it runs great and still gets over 50 mpg but won't pass Oregon DEQ tests. I want one for a project... wheel skirts, strip down useless weight... pure commuter. The Xfi had an EPA rating of 58 mpg on the freeway when new... I could prolly beat that with some mods. What do you guys think? worthwhile or waste of time? :confused: Even if the engine is on its last legs, I wouldn't mind pulling it and having a shop rebuild it. The little 1.0L in this thing couldn't be all that hard to pull... tiny 'lil thing that it is!

j

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Only if you are going to park the K5 on top of it...

Ask Ira. We beat the snot out of his about 10 years ago.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

reliable transportation for $350 is tough to beat IMO. even better if it get wicked mileage lol.

why not? sounds like a helluva lot cheaper project to occupy your time than 4x4. :haha:

4. jekbrown

lol, time is the only worry on this thing. I have my K5 truggy project... and after the tube/trans/suspension is done on that I want to build my tow rigs flatbed... and then I'll prolly buy an inexpensive trailer locally and upgrade it to suit my needs. I pretty much have 2-3 years of projects already rolling. :grin: That said, I'll never have as many projects as Allan.. so WHY NOT!!!!! :grin: :thumb:

j

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Only if it comes with a big rainbow sticker on the trunk.............

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I talked about buying a cheap little car back at the beinning of summer. Have to see if the car will pay for itself in gas $$ saved in order to see if it is worth it.. Plus think about the extra insurance you'll ave to pay as well as added expenses....

50mpg would be nice though!!!!!

A friend of mine has an older Vw that I have been contemplating buy for around the same amount.... But the extra insurance and possible added expenses are what keep me from buying it.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

how many miles away is the train station and how often do you make that commute?

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If you drive a lot,yes...

I'd get a car with higher gas mileage if I were doing a lot of driving..I miss my 86 VW Jetta diesel I had--getting 43+ mpg was nice,even when gas was relatively "cheap"..but I had to pay 500 bucks a year for insurance,another 100 bucks for plates and inspection stickers,plus the upkeep,tires,gas,and oil,etc..

I'd have to drive it a LOT to make it worth having!..I paid only 100 bucks for the car,it was practically a gift at that price--but had to to pay MORE than that just in sales tax when I registered it,since they go by "book" value,not what you paid..I really should have just stashed the Jetta away in my shed instead of selling it--you can't find ANY VW diesel now for less than a grand thats roadworthy at all..the main thing I disliked about the car was its size--I always felt threatened on the highway in it,especially when 18 wheelers were all around me..I figured I'd be buried in the car,instead of a coffin!..:eek1:

I'm all for saving $$$$ on gas,but I much prefer to be in a 3 ton behemoth than a sardine can econobox,if another vehicle hits me,or even if a deer jumps in front of me...a guy near here was killed when he hit a deer in a small car,and the deer wasn't all that big either!..sometimes I consider the high price of gas as life insurance,when I'm in my truck..:crazy:

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

70+ MPG!!

[​IMG]

:D :D :D :D

10. jekbrown

Its about 11 miles each way. 22 miles a day... 5 days a week... I work 48 weeks a year... thats 5280 miles. I get about 20 mpg now, so I use 264 gallons of gas (actually Im sure its more, with occassional traffic jams etc). Figure a median price over the last year for gas would be $2.50... and thats $660 for gas. Thats just for work... I also drive the ranger a few other places (where I don't need a truck bed!) around town also.

The Metro, if rebuilt/tuned/modded properly could get up to 60 mpg. The same 5280 miles would be just 88 gallons of gas... costing $220. Looks like $440 in savings per year. This would actually be increased when we move, because we are 99% sure we are going to move further North... maybe as much as 15 miles (to Woodland, WA).

Insurance costs aren't much of a concern... the car would be un-insured until I was done fixing it up. At that point, I would sell the Ranger and just drive the '90 Metro. The Ranger is a 94 and probably worth a lot more, so insurance would prolly go down. For parts hauling, I'd have to use my tow rig though (9 pmg 454, w00t!) so that would kinda suck. Thankfully I already have the axles, trans, t-cases etc for my truggy and trans/tcase/axles for my next project also.... so I really shouldn't have to do much parts hauling. If I did, it'd be tow rig time.

According to the numbers, this is a purdy good idea... hmmm.. :thinking:

As far as a bike goes... no way. ;) They get awesome mileage, but tin-can-like as it is, the Metro is a gazillion times safer. :thumb:

j

ps: driving a gas sipper isn't rainbow-sticker worthy... if you're using the savings to buy cool 4x4 parts. :grin: :thumb:

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I like the idea. :)

I always wondered what you could get out of one of those things after removing almost everything you could that was unnecessary to keep it rolling, and to keep the driver safe.

There was a thread here on this board I do believe, about the economics of replacing the engine in one of these though, as I had a friend that had one with a bad engine. For as small as they were, the rebuilt costs I was able to find were incredibly high IMO, I'm sure due to how many are actually rebuilt. I believe others were able to find parts cheaper though.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, now I see why you were gawking at my fuel economy... Your annual consumption is like my monthly consumption...
    I should just take a private jet to work at this point :rotfl: :rotfl:...

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

:eek1: i put on 22 miles by 6:15:o i average 100+miles a day:rolleyes: i roughly get 18 mpg...

In one year of owning it i put on 35,000 miles... Yikes...I so envy you...:crazy:

Wow just did a little math, thats 1944.44 gallons a year, x the 2.75 (at least) gas has averaged in the last year = 5347.22 :crazy:

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I miss my cushy commute where my only driving was 3 miles to a train station... I think I got gas like once every 3 months...

15. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

My son has a '95 Metro. He bought it a year and a half ago from a friend for $150. It wouldn't run other than idle. Put a new crank sprocket (for the cam drive belt), replaced a stuck exhaust valve and new gaskets. He drove that car to school in Connecticutt. He came home every weekend (500 mile round trip) from Sept./05 to April/06 and is still driving it. I am absolutely amazed how reliable it has been. I drove it for a month before he took it to school... you know the whole "Dad" thing trying to decide if I wanted my little boy driving such a little s___box. I got 49.6 mpg with it, he averages 45. It is a great economy car, parts are somewhat pricey new, some parts like ball joints can't be replaced, you need to swap the whole a-arm. Most common rust occurs where the front drive axles come thru the uni-body. around here every Geo in the junkyard has this rust and couldn't pass inspection because of it. I'd say get it for what it is, a great MPG car.

16. jekbrown

yeah, i know how to save money on my commute. Funny part is, I can ride the MAX for $17/mo (they never check tickets, so I just by a 10 pack of tickets for each month)... but my company gives me $30/mo for using mass transit to get to work. If that wasn't enough, ther $17/mo tickets are taken out of my paycheck before taxes... so I dodge the tax man too. ;)

j

17. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your looking for a good mpg throw away then the Metro is good if you want a good mpg not throw away then go VW Golf Rabbit or something.

18. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the tdi jettas are pretty sweet too

19. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

if you do... go to www.teamswift.net it's basically coloradok5 for swifts,metros, and fireflys. they have everything awesome for geos. camshafts, turbos, headers, intake manifolds... exhaust systems.... it is sweet. im planning on getting a metro soon so i thought that i would share it with... because they are gutless wonders... but you put a lil money for a swift 1.3 and a turbo you can have some fun... you can buy these engines for 8 grand that are turning out about 500 horses... when you get bored of the three cylinder of course.

20. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

22 Miles a day is not a very long commute. IMO, that's not enough to justify the savings unless you drive something that gets single digit MPG. I commute about that distance, and I purchased a rig that gets about 10 mpg. On the other hand, if you want a MPG project, why not start with something sporty and fun, like a bike or small sports car? 30-40 mpg in a fun driving car is a good compromise. I put about 50K a year on my CRX Si in college, and saved my truck for times when I needed it or wanted to drive it instead.