Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I buy a Ranger? (useless thread)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fubeca, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Here's the situation - I own 2 nissan sentra commuter cars and 1 k-5. We are just finishing up building our house and still have a ton of landscaping and other work left to do (finish basement, build deck - etc).

I'm almost convinced to sell the blazer and buy a small truck (nissan, toy, ford whatever). I'm going to need a trailer or a truck to haul stuff around with - and I'm sick of 10-14 mpg out of the blazer. Finances are tight and the gas is getting me - I can probably sell the blaze for ~$4,000 and can pick up a pretty nice ranger for $4-5,000.

I know I'll miss the blazer but there really isn't much wheeling out here anyway and I can always find another blazer when I move back to the mountains.

I just wish I could find something that gets better than 20 mpg and fits a 6'4" 240lb person, and can haul misc junk around. I'm a little worried about room in a Ranger but I just can't really think of too many other options. I'm a little leary of a diesel right now (with diesel a full dollar more per gallon around here:mad: ).

Anyone driving a ranger or a mazda b-series have any input? Any other ideas?

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I just got a clean 98 ranger for 3500 cash on saterday, red xtra cab 4 banger 5 speed,

pretty nice for the price, but the 4 banger is really lacking, at 65-70 it feels like im really pushing the truck hard and I feel nervous driving over that in it. Also alot of wind noise, but I still give it an economy rated thumbs up,

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a 94, 4 cyl/manual, 2wd ranger. Gets me around, and gets 24mpg doing it. It ain't much good over 70mph... but thats the speed limit anyway so thats fine.

j

4. gauder

gauder Banned

Get an extra cab, you'll have more leg room. Why not consider an s-10? The 4.3 is a good motor.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at s-10s too. There are more rangers around here for some reason. Maybe its because they have a plant here. I'm open to either - I think they get about the same mileage. Anything that makes one much better than the other (aside from the obvious ford/chevy part :wink1: )

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 2000 Exploder that I like just fine. I have about $6500 in it and it gets about 22 mpg. Soon to be for sale, but it has been a great DD.

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

2wd or 4wd? 22 is pretty good - but I don't know if I can get that with a 4wd

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I get 23 with my 99 Jimmy on the average. Have gotten it to 26 on trips. If you drive it like a jackass it gets 18. It's a 2wd, though...but it's a 180hp 6 so it moves pretty well for itself.

4x4 S10's get 18-20 depending on your driving habits. My buddy has a ZR2 and gets 18 most of the time.

I have some friends with rangers, just stay away from the 4 banger. They have no balls. Get at least a 3.0, but it'd be better to get the 4.0 since it's more comparable to a 4.3 in the power area.

You though of doing a mid-size for space? Like a Dakota?

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I've thought about the dakota and the t100 for the space but I don't know if they are really that much more spacious. Plus the mileage doesn't seem to be quite as good.

If I can't get up to 20 mpg I might as well just get a chevy truck with a 5.0. I'm not worried about winning any races (I drove an isuzu p'up deisel for many years - wish I still had it :doah: 35mpg no matter what). I guess I'll have to just go drive a few. I wish there was a good way to get a handle on what the mileage would be. I'd sure hate to sell the blazer and end up only gaining 1 or 2 mpg :crazy: .

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Can you live with a 2wd? No small truck with a v6 and 2wd gets UNDER 20 on the highway that I can think of...

11. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

That's the debate - I'm not sure I could live without four wheel drive. But it isn't going to take much to get better mpg than the blazer I guess.