Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should i buy it bbc????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HELLBENT DESIGNS, Jan 19, 2006.

1. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

looking to upgrade the 454 in my 1967 gmc, bought a mercruiser ramjet mpfi setup. i asked a gearhead buddy if he had any extra rectangle port chevy bbc heads. he replied, on my 440 you should buy it! ok here is the deal! he had this engine built about 10 years ago for his drag car. parts are a 60 over 454 4bolt main block, trw 10-1/2 to1 comp. forged pistons, forged 427 crank, new ls7 rods, new ls7 rectangle port heads with manley severe duty valves. the guy came into some money so the engine only has about 10 miles on it. he quickly upgraded to a 509 then a 632 all aluminum bbc setup 1200 hp on fuel no nitrous or supercharging, alcohol etc. so i know the engine is done right. he ordered the biggest solid roller cam that crower listed and was running fast, 9's i think! his current setup runs 7.50'sin the 1/4 at MT altitude, anyways i would have to do a cam change and valvesprings. everytime i add up the cost of a performance engine it makes me sick:doah: this engine is a bit much for a dd but i think i can get it for about $2000 which includes trading him my standard bore 454 4 bolt block and eagle 4340 crank. any help guys:dunno: thanks

2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

faaaaaast.....

3. HELLBENT DESIGNS

:dunno:

4. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

thats all I got for help lol... i want one!

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Divide Ride or Bust! :bow:

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Is the 67 going to be an offroad truck? I say that you stick with what you have and use the 2k on something else. You don't need all that motor unless your doing sometthing REALLY crazy. Those heads are made for high RPMS. You wont be doing that on the trail unless it's for an occasional rooster tail to cover your buddy behind you in mud :D

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It might be "built right" for a 9 second drag car....but it sounds a little backwards for a truck application:

1. Smaller stroke, less torque
    2. Biggest cam usually means it's setup for high rpm HP.
    3. Big square port heads generally mean the same thing.

For a mud truck, it might be a good choice...but I don't get the impression that's what your doing. The cost and aggravation to convert it to something with more bottom end power probably makes it a poor choice.

8. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

If its been sitting for 10 years it could have some problems. Rust, leaky gaskets, etc. The 10.5:1 will require premium fuel. It cant be rebuilt since its .060 over already. You could probly change the cam and run like a Performer RPM intake and a decent carb and be OK. Just know that the fuel is gonna cost ya...

9. HELLBENT DESIGNS

yeah for a light car it would work well! if i built my current extra block up i planned on a basic 9 to 1 comp. 496 stroker. this truck isn't a mudder and trail use will be very limited. if anything using it to pull the trail rig would it's main use other than weekend drives, that's the answer i was looking for. thanks guys:waytogo: besides this looks funner:D

flex2.jpg