Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I buy it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scotty1, Jan 25, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I plan to check out a 91 2500 GMC Suburban SLE, 134K , 350 TBI, 6" Skyjacker soft ride with steering arm, all front end joints replaced, heavy duty trans cooler, TH350( I think), no rust, rear air with 3rd seat, 35" meats with 4:10 gears and a Lock right in the 14sf rear with a 10 bolt front. The vehicle was a dealer road assistance ride when he got it and had mods done. He wants $6000 but said that was negotioable, he just bought an Avalache. What do you guys think?

Git there fastest with the mostest!
    Nathan Bedford Forest

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good deal to me. I'd buy it. Check it out of course, drive it, etc. Also the tranny shouldn't be a Th350, it should be a Th400 if it's non overdrive, if it has OD then its is a Th700R-4 (4L60E) or 4L80E. Pray its a 4L80E thats what you want. If everything is in good running order, I think you got a heck of a deal there.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

If it's a 91 it should have a 700R4. With that many miles on it I would have the tranny checked out first (mine gave out at 130K). It would be nice if the gears were 4.56 with those tires and that heavy of a truck, but it should be driveable. And since this was a dealership truck that probably never saw any off-road (i.e. no 4WD) you might want to check and make sure that the front gears were changed also and he didn't cut corners. Of course you need to check the frame/steering box for the infamous frame crack with those size tires also.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rampage on 01/25/02 07:03 PM.</FONT></P>

4. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I double checked on the tranny, he is pretty sure its the 4L80E. He also had the auto hubs replaced with Warn manual units. He also says he has a big block he was gonna drop in to perk up the power, Hhhmmmm.

Nathan Bedford Forest<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by scotty1 on 01/25/02 04:35 PM.</FONT></P>

5. Hossbaby50

I think 91 was the only year they offered the 4L80E in old style Burbs. I remember reading that the other day. Like mentioned before check for cracks at the steering box. If it is cracked don't let it be a deal spoiler, just try and get him to compensate for it in the price. Check for rust, possible collision damage, etc. Do check and see if the front gears were changed. If you are going to offroad it when you get it get a steering box brace from Offroad Design, heck you should get it even if you aren't going to offroad it. Beyond that, I hope it works out.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my 1989 2500 sub has a th-350, 8-lug 10 bolt front, 8-lug 14sf and a tbi350 with 152,000 on it. $6000 is a good price, mine blue books at like $8000, i would buy it, i love my suburban.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

7. Hossbaby50

I thought they were putting th 400's in 3/4 ton pickups and burbs. My bad, I am misinformed.

8. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

I've got a 91 1500 &amp; love it! Checked my handy-dandy spec booklet for 91, and it only shows the 700R4 &amp; 4L80-E transmissions being avail in them (700 in 1500 4L80 in 2500).
    Sounds like a pretty good deal. Gave twice that for mine 4 years ago.

9. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! I will check it out this afternoon, once I get the RPO codes and give it a good once over I will mull it over. I am going to see if he will let the big block go with it but will be satisfied with a 350 since there is a lot of build up potential there. I will post back with my findings. Scotty

Nathan Bedford Forest

10. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

OK, I scoped it out. It looks real good. All work was done by pro shops. I am not too hep on the rear 6" buggy springs with overloads and quad shocks, or the 4:10 gears. Frame around the steering box is good, needs an ORD brace tho. I think I would rectify all the above items. The truck has been very well maintained and adult driven. It has minimal rust on frame/suspension and virtually none on the body. Engine sounds good, I need to do the compression check but even with 134K on it I believe it is sound. The drive shafts were replaced with new ones when the lift was installed. The doors and body are tight, AC work great front and rear. The rear axle has been converted to discs. Carpet has been replaced inside. The big block is a 454 complete with all mounting hardware. He says he bought it 18 months ago out of Texas for $3400 and will sell it for $2800. I am thinking of offering $8000 cash for the truck and engine, or $5500 for just the rig.

Nathan Bedford Forest