Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I buy it ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Slow, Aug 22, 2000.

1. Slow

Slow Newbie

I saw a 1990 GMC Jimmy (loaded, AC, cruise etc.) for sale today. They want $7900 Canadian (about $5320 US), which is very close to the blue book value. It's got a 350 in it with 169000km's (110mi or so ?).

The body has NO rust, which is amazing for Canada :), but has a few nicks in it on the fenders. Interior is also in excellent shape.

I'm thinking it isn't really worth that much though.. the blue book value is supposed to be a mint vehicle, which this one is not (but close).

Also, I could trade in my current, fairly fuel efficient vehicle for this one, but then I'd only have the one, and would have to take it on long trips etc. What kinda mileage do you get with a 1990 350 EFI ?

Thanks muchly! This is a great site, and one of the reasons I'd like to get a K5 :)

2. Heath-La. 89GMC

Heath-La. 89GMC 1/2 ton status

I cant say whether or not to buy it, but..... as far as fuel mileage goes, Our Jimmys and Blazers arent known for their great fuel efficiency. I have an 89 with a Fuel Injected 350, and it gets terrible mileage. about 10 or so. But, I still love my truck and wouldnt trade my crappy gas mileage for a fuel efficient vehicle unless gas goes up to $3 or $4 a gallon. If that happens, im getting a bicycle.

3. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Honestly, it depends how much you want it. A Jimmy is more expensive to operate than a car, but you get more in terms of performance/capabilities. FYI, my buddy paid a lot more than that for his 88, and they're both about the same. Offer him $1000 less and see what gives, good luck.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My 89 gets about 13 mpg in town. It is stock. I have the 350 TBI. I always run 89 octane gas. I take a lot of trips in my K5. It is very spacious although they sometimes tend to wonder and at times the ride can be rough too.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

5. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

I paid $9,000 U.S. last year for my 89 K5. That seems like a lot but my K5 had an original 67,000 miles on the clock and is in original mint condition. Also it's a silverado loaded with options. I had asked the question about a month ago if I had paid the proper amount and got mixed responses. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder when it comes to paying the price....... Just make sure everything is in good condition, It's your hard earned money.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I too paid 9k for a loaded 89 K5 silvarado in showroom cond with 52000 mi last year. It is the most comfortable 4x4 I've ever owned both on and off road, and I've owned a lot of trucks including 2 K5s. With the 373 posi rear, overdrive and 1050x31 tires I get a honest 16 mpg at 75 mph.It gets better if I keep it under 60 but that seems so slow. I live in rural Nevada. We drive fast here and run the hell out of our 4x4s. I can hit the dirt at the end of my street and go over 100 miles and not see pavement. The blazer has held up great so far and I have got many compliments as to its performance off road.Espically from the Jeep drivers I have put to shame. Of course I have modified it a little but nothing radical no lift either. anything over 2" just slows you down.. Good luck on your purchace.

[​IMG]

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I got around 15 mpg from my 89. You should offer less than go from there if you like it buy it.

8. James

James 1/2 ton status

Slow,
    I can't tell you what its worth. I can tell you I've bought alot of used vehicles. Always tried to get away for less than bluebook low regardless. Sometimes you find a vehicle that there asking more than bluebook for, but the feeling is right and you gotta have it. Just have it checked out for 50.00. Hell I paid 4200.00 for my 73 k5convert. I'm sure alot of people will say i got ripped. But it is by far my favorate vehicle I've ever owned and GOD willing it will never be sold. Oh yah and no matter how good of a deal it is at the time. You will always run into another deal just as good
    Peace
    James