Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I buy this Compressor.....?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by BigBen, Sep 29, 2006.

1. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't have air in my shop yet.
    I've wanted a 60 gallon for a while, but was going to settle on 30 for price.
    I really don't konw that much about compressors, so I figured I would ask here.

A friend of a friend just upgraded and has this Craftsman up for sale for $225:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

-Ben

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I guess that is a pretty good price. But from what I have heard, oil-free compressors are not as reliable as their oiled counterparts....

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Not a bad price. If it's two cylinders, it could be dual stage (quieter) or just bigger ... noisy fricken things. I had the red-tank (i.e. low end) version in that capacity and it was a POS, ended up repairing it out of warranty, and when it went out again I just bought an el-cheapo from HF for like $175 on sale.

-- A

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Id save my coin and buy a nice one

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Depends on what you are going to use it for. I have a 30 something gallon from Home Depot that works great, but I don't paint or blast often. Mostly just for airing up tires and using air tools.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

unless those air tool are sanders or grinders, he really should check out the air consumption of what tools he wants to use and then decide. I spent almost 800 on mine and now that works properly I am really happy with it. It'll run almost anything and I can say my Brothers 1200 dollar Ingersall is very close to the same output...

7. cbbr

Good point. Mine does ok with grinders or sanders, but is not great and there is some waiting involved.

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The oilless ones are LOUD. But they do work better in an unheated environment, unless you use synthetic oil in the oil type. Like said, look closely at the cfm ratings at the higher pressures. The low pressure ratings don't mean much, unless you are inflating tires.

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

all air tools are rated to run at 90psi, the CFM at 90psi is most important if you ask me.

10. ryanstrucking

ryanstrucking 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

for hobby use, I would say it's ok but like other people have said they are a lot louder than the oiled compressors. Phish had one and man was it loud.
    I just picked one up from princess. house of tools has a nice one on right now for $699.
    I would have bought it, if I would have seen it before I bought mine.
    http://www.houseoftools.com/content/houseoftoolscom/Flyers/Catalogue/page34.pdf

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I really would be in that market for one, but my fatherinLaw is lending me his air comp, blast cabinet, solvent tank......... He had a compact vehicle lift too but I'll have to repair the main cylinder before I could use that.

I'm not exactly sure what they are but for free they'll be FINE :D

12. BigBen

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.
    I was out fighting a mouse infestation in my basement this weekend and I'm running behind on CK5...

If by "Hobby" use, you mean occasional work on my truck, then that is exactly what I need.

So far, I have done everything without a compressor on my truck.

I'm in an un-heated Michigan garage, so it will get cold.

I've wanted to get in the game for a while, but a 60gal with an oiled pump has remained out of my price range (assuming that I also need to buy tools to go with it).

Right now I see the need to use impact tools, occasional grinding, a grease gun, possibly sand-blasting or spraying Primer.

It says 9.9 cfm at 90 psi.

With my budget, I have been considering buying a 30 gallon to get by for a while..... when this 60 popped up, it seemed like a good way to get in the game for a reasonable price.

I know that they are loud (been around them before) and I know I may want to upgrade... but I need something to get me through for a few years until I can afford more.

I've got to decide this week. I'll let you know what I do.

-Ben

13. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I would say go for it. 9.9cfm at 90psi is pretty reasonable, and for the price if its in good shape, which it looks to be. I'd get it. better to have loud air than NO air.

14. cbbr

Mine is loud as hell. I just wear earplugs and crank up the radio when I am going to be using it much.

15. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

So what about this?

Buy the $225 one for now. When the noise drives you nutzz get just the compressor cylinders, an oiled one. Could buy it new as replacement parts or maybe get a used one to rob the parts off of. Isn't the tank worth that anyway? I would guess it wouldn't be that hard to throw together.

16. BigBen

That's pretty funny.
    I was just wondering about that last night.....

I wonder if anyone here has "re-powered" an air compressor before????

That could be the perfect compromise.

PS> I went ahead and offered $200 and we made the deal. I can't wait to have air tools at my disposal!

17. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

Id Buy It. I Built Mine Out Of An Old Cambell Hosfeld 5 Hp, 20 Gallon. Piggybacked It To A 20 Gallon Propane Tank I Got From A Buddy For 5$. Was Definately Noisy As Hell. I Moved It To The Shed Behind The Shop And Ran The Airline Thru The Wall, Wired Up A Switch In The Garage To Shut It Off. Noise Problem Solved. Cant Hardly Tell Its Runnin.

What Voltage Is The One Your Lookin At. Check If Its 220v You Might Have To Run New Wiring If You Dont Have 220 Already. Adds To The Expense Cause Heavy Guage Cable Aint Cheap. A 220v Motor Is More Efficient Than A 110v Motor I Can See A Definite Difference In The Electrical Meter Spinning When The Compressor Kicks On. Mines 110v.

As Far As Cfm Goes, More Is Deffinatly Better. Buy The Highest One You Can Afford. Its Gonna Suck If You Have To Constantly Wait For Pressure To Build Up, Especialy If Your Painting,running Grinders,cutoff Wheels,or Sanders. Low Cfm Will Also Wear Out Your Cutting Wheels, Grinder Wheels Faster, They Need A Certain Speed To Operated Efficiently.

Sorry To Be So Long Winded, Hope This Helps
    Bruiser

18. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I bought a 60 gallon upright from Home Depot husky brand (campbell hausfeld) for 449.00

19. BigBen

I did it. For $200 I couldn't let it go.

It's back home in Michigan now (I got it in Connecticut).

We ran it in CT and it charged to 140 psi and held.

Now I need to get my garage wired up, buy some air hose, get some air tools.......... :)

-Ben

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

EBay is the place to get air tools. :deal: