Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*should I Buy This K5???*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ncblazer1988, Feb 12, 2007.

?

Should I buy it???

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Only if you can get the price down, doesnt look to be in very good condition...

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ncblazer1988

ncblazer1988 Registered Member

Whats up fellas, perhaps you read the post i put up a while back about this K5 Blazer that is for sale aroudn where i live, anyway the guy updated some info, and i want to know what you guys think of it? Ill be going to check it out in a week maybe to see it in person. Heres what the ad says....
    "Well maintained in excellent shape. 350 cu. in. motor, automatic with overdrive, power door locks, windows, brakes, and rear window. Full gage package. AM/FM/CD player. Back seat folds down and folds forward to increase cargo space.
    -
    Cold A/C, complete A/C system overhaul 1 year ago including A/C pump. All new belts 6 months ago. Brand new battery. Brand new 33/12 15" tires with nearly new full size spare tire. Window motors in both passenger doors have been replaced. New internal tailgate latch hardware with new rear window seals. Rear end seals replaced. Transmission rebuilt 3 months ago. New transmission cooler 1 year ago. New 4 core radiator 2 years ago. New motor mounts. Class three Reese's trailer hitch. "

He then told me this in an email....
    "The interior is in great condition considering it's age, I've had it for four years and have taken excellent care of it.
    -
    Paint up close is in generally in good condition, one spot in the center of the hood where someone before I owned it apparently sat on the hood and dented it, was bonded but bonding about 3" in diameter came out. No rust on the painted body, two spots on driverside fender at bottom behind wheel has to chipped spots about 3/4" in diameter, passenger side door has has some body work in middle of door bondo is cracked a bit.
    -
    It is carbed, yes all gauges work, dash light is out on speedometer, 160,000 k on body, about 30 K miles on motor that was rebuilt in 1998 I have orginal bill of sale and receipt for motor replacement (1991 motor) in 1998. ***Also - Brand new BFG All-Terrains, and its carbureted (i know, 1991 carbed???)

-
    It had a 350 trans in it when I bought, I had a 7004R trans rebuilt and put in by Jake's Transmission in Durham, 1 1/2 yrs ago, the planetary gear self distructed a few months ago and Jake's pulled and rebuilt the tranny again, work great now!
    -
    I just sent you more pics of the blazer in another email.

I am willing to accept serious offers, especially cash or certified check."

He is asking 5200 but i thikn i can knock it down. Anyway, bottom line is in order for my dad to loan me money for this car, it needs to be reliable, dependable, predictable, etc. Basically do you guys think he took good enough care of it? Pics look a little sketchy to me, doesnt look like he cared all too much about it, then again it appears that its never been restored, in which case interior condition such as this is logical for a 20 year old truck.

Heres a link.... http://raleigh.craigslist.org/car/274455406.html
    And heres the pics he recently emialed to me. Ill be checking this truck out in a few weeks, and ill be doing stuff like pinching radiator hoses to see if they leak (heard thats a good way to tell a lot about how well it was maintained?) Anyway, im kind of new to K5 Blazers, and thought you guys might have some pointers/tips for me to remember when checking out this truck?
    Also, what the hell kinda gas milage do these get? I heard 13/14mpg average? Thanks!!!!!!
    ***Please guys if yu have ANY comments, even "thats a nice truck", then please dont hesitate to reply to this topic, itll tell me what you guys generally think about this rig... thanks!

**PICS**
    http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/dabeast727/K5%20Blazer/

2. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

That doesent look like a 91 to me
    TBI started in 87 no carbs between 87 and 91

3. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

$5200 is a little high but not bad. I paid $4500 for mine with 79k on it in prestine condition. Prices differ in area I know but work him down and see where you get.

4. ncblazer1988

It isnt a 1991, its a 1987. The engine is a 1991 model which was pulled from some otehr truck in 1998, rebuilt, and then put into this truck/

5. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

It's an '87 in the craigslist link. Darn shame, my '87 I picked up for $1500 is fuel injected and I love it, especially with it's super clean interior and straight body. Paint is coming off on the passenger door in a spot, but other than that it's in perfect shape. I say get it, although $5200 is pretty high. I'd pay at the most $4000, but I'd feel more comfortable paying around $3500.

6. ncblazer1988

Ohh yea? Well look at teh pics, the detailed ones and the interior damage all that stuff, do you thikn its a good buy? Im kinda worried he maybe didnt take great care of it? Still looks nice, maybe just cuz its that old interior damage is inevitable.....

7. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

8. bigblazer87

Well, the interior isn't great, but I've seen far worse. It's definitely livable (to me), although for $4000 it would have to be cleaner than that. I say to start off bargaining with him and see how close you can get him to $3000. If he doesn't want to budge much, let him sweat it and after a week or two contact him. Chances are it won't be sold and he'll be a bit more cooperative.

9. bigblazer87

10. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I'd pass on it. I picked up my '90 for $900. Needed some work but overall in good shape and driveable. Deals are out there, you just gotta keep looking.

Also, with a carbed 350 and previously a turbo 350 tranny in it, sounds like it's had alot of wrenching & swapping done to it. I've learned never to rely 100% on someone else's work.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  11. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I agree it's overpriced by about $1500. Do a VIN check on it if you get serious and go over it with a fine toothed comb. Interior is trashed for $5200.

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im still wondering his reason for putting a carb on it instead of the tbi that should be on there.:confused: Seems like the carb switch wouldnt be worth it and the tbi is reliable and easy to work on.
    -Harrison

13. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

Pass on it. I just missed a 89 K5 this past Sunday. It was in just as good of a condition as that one, except it was all original, and it went for $1400. I have my eye on one now that the owner is asking $2200 for. Prices vary rather wildly based on the owners perception of what they have.

14. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

a plane ticket to a good deal is only about $200 ..... well worth it in the long run to get a rust free truck

15. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

87 should have TBI as stated above a few times. The guy could be mistaken as TBI could look like a carb to someone not familiar with it at all. The line about it having a TH350 in it and him swapping to a 700r4 is not good. 87 should have had a 700 in it from the factory. He's either lying or the PO did alot of crap to it.

If you're looking for reliable transportation, 5k can buy a helluva lot nicer vehicle than that one without such a questionable past. Check the classifieds in here if you're set on a k5/chevy truck. There's a really nice 95 or 96 2500hd going for like 7k. I've been eyeballing it for a while but it just doesn't make anysense for me to DD a truck like that.

16. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

After rereading this, I'm also not crazy about the fact that the tranny shop obviously doesn't know how to build a 700R4 properly. I really hope you pass on this. Even if you get him to come down on his price to about $4000, I still think you could do better elsewhere.

17. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A 1987 should have had a 700R in it from the factory as pointed above. I noticed in pic 011 the tail pan if you remove the screws holding the carpet down I believe you are going to find some big rust in corners by post.
    I am not trying to rain on you but something don't sound right. The Bondo in door, bondo on hood. I agree with others I think it is high.

I paid $1800 for mine out of North Dakota and only holes it had were the little one under rear mat where I told you to look. Better looking ones on eBay are selling for that with less miles. If I was going to drop that much I would snag this one on eBay 1989 Scottsdale Item number: 150089482624 $4859.00

[​IMG]

18. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    He is way to high. Also if you plan on running propanecarbs the only way to go, but other than that FI for reliability! 3500 at the most!

19. ncblazer1988

The guy said teh stuff was done by shops, not by him. $3000 seems really cheap, what do you guys thinik i should offer him?

20. ncblazer1988

propane carbs?