Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I buy ths JIMMY? >>PICS<<

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott A, May 21, 2002.

1. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

Im thinking of buying a 78 GMC Jimmy with a 350 engine 400 Trans. NO SMOG EQUIPMENT. Are there any sites that break down what is required. It is an original CA vehical. I need to pass California smog.

Im thinking that these part are required, maybe more:
    Cat, Smog pump, Charcoal Canister, Egr Exhaust manifolds, PCV, etc.
    -----------------------------
    The ad:
    "1978 Gmc Jimmy - rebuilt 350 motor, dual flow master exhaust headers, NOS, 400 trans, edelbrock carb &amp; intake, chrome valve cover &amp; air filter, steel braded hose's, steel braded brake lines, fiberglass fenders(preruners), rancho shocks and dual steering shock, 1 ton rear end, 12" super lift, 3" body lift, 44" super swampers, leather power seats, new back seat, I have the grill, there is no inside fenders &amp; hood.
    Asking $3,900"
    ----------------------------------
    (I think he will take $3000)

PICS:

http://www.4x4truck.net/pics/jimmy.jpg
    http://www.4x4truck.net/pics/jimmy_engine.jpg
    http://www.4x4truck.net/pics/jimmy_inside.jpg

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Re: California Smog equipment for a 78 GMC Jimmy

also maybe the A.I.R fittings/hard lines and plugs that go into the exhaust manifold
    Also the stock air cleaner with the heatriser port on the bottom of the arm of the air cleaner ( I think that is what it is called) you have that tube about 1 1/2" around that goes from the port on the exhaust manifold to the bottom of the air cleaner

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I LIKE IT !!!!!!

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If it has none of the emissions equip on I would say pass on it.You could spend $1500 + what ever you time is worth to ya finding everything.Mine was missing about half of the stuff required and I think I spent close to $1k on parts.

If he came down to $2000 I might think about it but it will be fun getting it smog legal.

5. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

I dont know what California is like but here in Rhode Island they would never let that truck anywhere near a road. Its too high and has no bumpers. It would also need fender flares. Every cop in town would take turns following you to the town line when you hop into that bad boy. On the plus side it is really a cool looking truck and in a perfect world where there were no cops or smog laws, everyone would be building em like that. Supposedly the smog equipment that was there when it was new has to still be there and operating. My '77 has no smog equipment. I dont know what Cal. emmisions are or if there was a big change fron '77 to 78 but I would pass. Why is there a cardboard under the front end? How bad is it leaking? Obviously he doesnt want to stain his driveway. Whats with the block of wood in front of the tire? Those are the kinds of things that make me cautious.
    That is exactly like the roof rack that mine has. Does anyone have any info on that roof rack? Is that a factory rack or aftermarket and if so who made it?

6. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

plus i think it looks like a 12 rearend, is it??

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Emissions would be difficult to pass and the NOS is what would scare me on this truck...half the vehicles I have seen on NOS weren't built for them. Unless he only uses it in the mud and even then that has to be killing some parts!

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

tires are worth 3k if they are in good shape. i would go for it. then find a truck with the smog still on it. have a parts blazer and a trail truck/blazer
    grant

9. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

Hrmm...Well the the smoq equipment would have me worried. Not just that stuff which was removed like evap canister or cat, but if the engine was built without intentions of passing smog then alot of aftermarket parts may not have CARB numbers, like the carberator, intake, exhaust manifolds (headers?), and ignition system. That all would certainly set you back a few bills to fix.

But for the price, the parts alone maybe worth it. If there is a way you can make use of everything without passing Cali emmissions then I would think it would be worth your while (and money).

That's my useless 2 cents anyway.

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Pick that sucker up... just for parts at least.

Ken H.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's a factory roof rack. Not very comon. I have only seen one in RL. Hit the links post and there is a Slosh site that has dealers sales borcures and you can see some of the other factory stuff that was offered like wagon wheels and a factory outside spare tire rack.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Your going to play hell getting that thing past emmisions. Might even have to change the cam, intake and headers. If he won't budge off the price tell him you will pay it if he makes it emmisions legal and YOU choose the place it's tested as a condition of sale. Price is way high for a non compliant vehicle in the Republic of Kalifornia. That truck might already be labeled as "Gross Poluter" and would be real hell with the DMV.

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If you have any ideas about using the truck as your primary transportation, run, don't walk, away from that one as fast as possible.

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Id buy it. just my .02