Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I change axle seals?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Apr 5, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I jsut took out my axleshafts because one of them had some twisted splines on it, and I am in the process of replacing it. My rearend was rebuilt about 10K ago, and I need to know if I have to replace the axle seals...will they leak if I use the ones that are in there? - by this I mean are they only good for one installation of an axleshaft? Thanks

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

no they arent just good for one installation. if they didnt leak before I probably wouldnt replace em.. just watch you dont tear em up pulling the axle out or putting the new one in. Id grease em up a little first

mike

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well, they don't seem to be leaking yet...got the new axle in, replaced the wheel studs, new gear oil...obviously...to anyone who has to pull out the axles, it is a really simple job, took me a total of about an hour and a half...just because it was the first time, and I was being real careful