Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should I clean the pumpkin out somehow before I put new oil in?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Feb 2, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Looks like it's had water in it or something.. chocolate colored coming out and looks like rusty oil in there dripping..

Should I clean it somehow? and with what?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Buy 2 cans of Brake Kleen and use that to clean it all. Stuff is awesome and it'll clean everything right up.

Rene

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Brake cleaner and shove a bunch of paper towels up behind the ring gear to soak up all the old stuff...it shouldn't matter if its just gonna sit though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    it shouldn't matter if its just gonna sit though

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like you can talk mr 2wd

I'm trying to get things squared away slowly so I can drive it home this summer.
    Now it looks like I'm gonna need to find a 14 bolt and do a 6 lug convert before I can run those 35's, don't have a 14 bolt for a case of beer do ya?

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Brake cleaner works. But, I have some diesel that came from my old diesel tanks (almost 8 gallons). I use some of it for parts cleaning, but there is still plenty of "clean" fuel. When I've had to change water contaminated gear lube, I put some diesel in my pressure sprayer (for spraying poison and such) and use that to hose it out. Just another option using stuff that otherwise just sets around in the way...

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Russ good minds think alike. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I use diesel too to flush out rearends. Any residue that is left is oilbased and will just mix in the gearoil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If relubing soon brake clean works good,but,parts will rust almost overnight cause it strips oil from parts.Like to use disiel in sprayer{like others}.Definetly clean it with something,a little water hurts.As for 14B look for 14SF from 87 up,some are 6 lug pattern,but have c-clip axles.Still step up from 10-12Bs. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif