Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I contest this ticket!?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ryan B., Jan 24, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright i got this ticket a couple weeks ago...

It was for a sign that says NO LEFT TURN between 3:30 and 6:30 weekdays... I thought i was good, but a cop turns after me and pulls me over. I had to drive about 1/4 mile to where it was safe to pull over.
    It was a female cop and she said "do you have any idea why i pulled you over?"
    And i said "yeah i guess i made that turn when i shouldn't have And i didn't realize it until you pulled out after me!? "
    She asks for licence, registration, insurance... I give it to her... She says something about we're enforcing a zero tolerance at that turn.
    Takes a few minutes and writes up my ticket. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So The next day i'm trying to find some technicality on the ticket or something like the wrong date or time!
    I realize the time on the ticket is 3:37. The sign says no left turn between 3:30 and 6:30.

Everyone is telling me i should contest this ticket and plead that the clock in my truck said 3:28 when i pulled up to that sign.
    You gotta figure it took her 5 minutes to pull me over and give me the run around before issuing the ticket.

And what time is that according to!? Her watch? The computer in the cop car? When was the last time that clock was calibrated? ... i mean 7 minutes give me a break.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It was a female cop and she said "do you have any idea why i pulled you over?"

[/ QUOTE ]
    The most important question out of all of this is, would you hit it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Pay up Dude! Millons of Californians need welfare money! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I would, but you know here you are guilty until proven more guilty in traffic court... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I think you should contest it, but think of it this way, it could have been worse. Like getting a ticket for goin 75 in a 50, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif dont ask me how i know this.

7. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

CONEST!!!!!! CONTEST I SAY CONTEST!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what is it going to hurt to contest it? nothing but your time if you loose you pay the ticket if you don't contest it you pay the ticket so why not?

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

It's a moving violation. If you contest it and lose you already gave up the chance to go to traffic school. Or you could just go to traffic school and it won't be on your record.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like there is reasonable doubt to me. After you plead innocent, you talk to the prosecuter and most likely the prosocuter will drop something like this one. Just insist that you are correct. they have bigger fish to fry.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Here's what I would do. I'd buy two sheep, oh no wait.....

Take some time, go back to the beginning and reenact the scenario. Time yourself from the time you pulled into the lane, made the turn and trying to replicate your speed, drive to the spot where you were pulled over. Time it.

Then where exactly on the ticket is the time written? Most people write top to bottom, left to right. Do you have an idea how long the interaction with the cop lasted? This can be varied. I've sat on the side of the road from a minute to 40 minutes (Hayward PD loved me for that!) with the ticket writing process being more drawn out than just a warning.

If you are gonna contest, ask the cop 5 million questions.

When she got your info and went back to the car (BTW, did she do all of this on the truck on from the inside of the car, just for my info), what was her order of doing things. Did she call for your info, start writing the ticket while waiting, see what I'm getting at?

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have thought you were on a Fumes post.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Its Friday night Date night! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. ChevyCaGal

[/ QUOTE ]

Only two? You're slipping... you used to be able to handle at least 4-5 at a time... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

You're slipping... you used to be able to handle at least 4-5 at a time...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Apparently I had a voyeur that I was unaware of. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Apparently I had a voyeur that I was unaware of

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Contest it !!!!!!!!!!

18. ChevyCaGal

No, Fumes was the one who told me all about it...

19. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

So The next day i'm trying to find some technicality on the ticket or something like the wrong date or time!
    I realize the time on the ticket is 3:37. The sign says no left turn between 3:30 and 6:30.

[/ QUOTE ] It sounds like you don't even know what time it was? Right???

Everyone is telling me i should contest this ticket and plead that the clock in my truck said 3:28 when i pulled up to that sign.

[/ QUOTE ] If your friends are telling you to testify (plead) to the fact that your clock said 3:28......and it did NOT. That is perjury. Yes, even in traffic court you are sworn to tell the truth.

[rant]Trying to get off on a legitimate ticket because of a "technicality" is total BS /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif to me. Most state supreme courts have also upheld that a wrong address, incorrect date, mis-spelled name, incorrect court date etc. is not sufficient to warrant a ticket void. [rant/]

I guess I (like most cops) am sick and tired /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif of going to court on my day off because some bonehead who was driving 98mph in a 50mph zone was trying to get off on a "technicality". His whole defense was "The car is "champagne" an not "gold" as the ticket says." True story.

If you were in the wrong, pay the ticket. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If you are right, contest the ticket. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I aggree to some extent, but in San Jose the cops don't have to go to court on their day off anymore, they get a couple days a month and they go on those days. Would it still piss you off? </font color>