Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should i cut my TSLs???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Aug 28, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you know how a lot of people cut the center lugs in half from side to side? should i do that? i've heard they will ride smoother that way, is that true? my suburban is my daily driver and i love the TSLs but i was just wondering if i would benifit from this or not. i do mostly mud and dirt hill kinda wheelin. would the performance be any better? thanks in advance.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I was thinking about siping the 2 center lugs on my Radial TSL's because drving in the rain is pretty scary..but I haven't done it yet. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

siping would be nice too but i'm talking about the big seperation in the middle of the lug.

4. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I don't know from experience or anything but its probably just a placebo. Maybe if you cut them you can convince yourself it rides better /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I knew what your were talkin bout Scott. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Solution= Larger tires for better performance.

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

You might see an improvement on wet paved surfaces, maybe the dirt, probably not in the mud. It would allow for the mud to pack up at low wheel speeds. The added edges would help in the dirt, not too, soft it would help you dig in. And definitely not in the sand, but these are not sand tires in the first place. The cuts would help in the snow and ice, again the added edges. So I guess its a personal choice. Unless the cuts are all the same, it would possibly be louder due to imbalanced harmonics within the tire.

8. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I cut my 38's and it made a big difference on the trail. the tires were able to from better over rocks and for some reason it made them work better in the sand. I just cut the center lugs in half, I didnt cut mine like the ORD blazer but plan to with my 39.5's

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt bother, myself.

Ken H.

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The cuts make a big difference on the rocks. I like the way mine are cut. Thanks BigJ. Pics in webshots.

11. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Ok so what about road manners. Does anybody have experience to the fact that it would make them any worse on the road or will it make little or no diff.

12. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Is it the increased flexibility or the extra 'grabbing' surface that seems to help?

Does it do anything for mud?

Since the bogs I run it... they dont allow modified tires to run. Unless you go in the tractor tire class. But, thats a whole nother ballgame there.

Ken H.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I haven't cut mine, but I have siped them, and liked it very much on the ice and snow. I't also kind of balanced out my tires a little.

BTW - on C4x4 (I think) somebody cut their center lugs in half with a circular saw, hahahahahah! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif