Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I... Deisel or gas?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Anvil, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Anvil

Anvil Newbie

I've owned a 81 K5 Jimmy and sold it so I'm looking at getting another now that I'm financially secure. My old K5 had a 350 /quadjet 350 tranny... headers, nothing special but now I'm looking to build a truck to keep for 20+ years. I like the CUCV but I know nothing about Diesel. I've read the posts here and I'm still in the dark. How much more expensive is a deisel to mantain than a gasoline engine? How expensive are repairs? Will the cash I save in gas and engine longevity be eaten up with mantainence costs and repairs? (assuming a new engine).

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All I do is look up at the price signs at gas stations and see the difference in price. Thats enough for me.

The Diesel will go forever. It does great off road. Mine isn't the best for mudding, but that could be my 3.08 gear ratio.
    Upkeep is a bit more. More air filters, oil changes; that have to be made on time.

If something breaks yes its a bit more expensive.
    I just toasted a 6.2 engine....coolant leak got big....cracked block. What did I repalce it with? A 6.2 Diesel engine. Pondered a gasser...took about half a millisecond to decide.

The question you have to ask...which back when I was K5 less and looking...would you rather tow a house without knowing its there or roast tires off?

Hint: Stay away from deep water unless your K5 has a snorkel!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

3. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I just aquired an '84 K10 diesel Blazer, and love it. I'll love it even more once I get rid of this POS 700R4 transmission!

Fuel mileage is great, and with my 31 gallon tank, I can cruise on the highway for about 700 miles before I need to stop for fuel.

The K10 is my daily driver. If it was a gasser, I wouldn't want to drive it every day because gas would eat my wallet alive.

My engine has almost 200,000 miles on it, and was very well maintained by the previous owners (as far as I can tell). Doesn't burn oil, runs like a champ. I'm going to rebuild it and toss on a Banks turbo kit in the future.

Dan Oglesby
    1984 K10 Blazer, 6.2L diesel, 700R4

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Wow another diesel blazer in Colorado, cool. I was beginning to think i had the only one.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

5. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

I got an 84 K5 6.2 with a 4" in front and 3" in back pro comp suspension lift and i love it, Ive got 158000 miles and it runs fine, i just dont like my damn 700r4 tranny, Mine muds fine, I took it in mud/water combo up to the chevy symbol and made it out fine, plus im gettin 20+mpg and diesel here in California is bout 10 cents cheaper per gallon.

6. Double_T

Double_T Registered Member

Anvil,
    one thing you gotta remember is you didn't know anything about gassers when you 1st got one did you? Diesels are different, but not complex. WHEN you get one, get the Haynes Diesel repair manual & also the book by Dempsey called something like Diesel Maintenence and Repair. Both are required reading. In all reality, Diesels, while requiring more maintnence, are more basic than gassers (one of the reasons they're used more in industrial applications). Good Luck.

7. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Where are you located, TyBee? I'm in Longmont, CO...

Dan Oglesby

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Im down in Aurora.

9. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

That's not too far... If you ever need an extra set of hands to work on your truck, let me know!

Dan Oglesby

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Great, I could use the help when I get around to putting the lift on.

11. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

No problem. Fire off a private message here, or email me at danno@burningserver.org if you ever need a hand. Friday nights and weekends work best for me, but I might be able to help week nights (depends on work/wife/kid).

I haven't been under a vehicle in forever... I'm starting to get withdrawl!

Dan Oglesby

12. tshiko

tshiko Registered Member

One thing that's a real killer on those 6.2's are the glow plugs and all the sensors/timing devices/relays that go with them. Once they go bezerk, you're better off changing everything, and at the cost of new parts, it's almost cheaper to buy a new/rebuilt 350gas. I've seen some people bypassing the controls with a direcrt switch, but then it's easy to blow the plugs.

I would also be careful getting the thing in too much water. You don't have to worry about getting water in the ignition, but the intake sucks up anything anywhere close. The filter will hold the dirt, but I am not sure what to do if you get yourt heads full of water. It may not be a problem since high compression might throw it right out again.

As far as GM diesel goes, the old Detroit 8.2 liter "fuel pincher" was far better, clean fuel system, no glow plugs and killer torque. It was on medium duty trucks, and other industrial applications. I am afraid it's too heavy for the 10-30 series, and it would probably break your rear end at the first start. What about the Two stroke Detroits, legends!?

13. OFFRDK5

Hrm water and Diesel....read the Midwest Spring K5 Thing trail report. That will tell ya!!

SK-15
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

14. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Eh, glow plugs and a relay controller aren't expensive. NAPA has the controller for about $30, and I can't imagine glow plugs cost a whole lot more.

Every 6.2L I've ever had experience with (brother's two pickups, and my Blazer) has been a good one. These are great engines, and easy to work on, IMHO.

If you're concerned with water, get a snorkel kit. I'm not going mudding, ever, so I could care less about issues with water.

Dan Oglesby
    1984 K10 Blazer Silverado: 6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

15. tshiko

tshiko Registered Member

Napa, last I heard, didn't have a controller ... it only had a relay (that thing that's bolted to the fender). The controller, that is behind the intake manifold is a dealer item for the high one hundreds, and there is yet another sensor that goes for $150 or so.

16. tshiko

tshiko Registered Member

good story about the hydro-lock, I always wondered how a diesel would deal with water.

17. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Glowplug controller and eight plugs cost here about $230.Also one temperarure sensor goes to right cylinderhead.If everything works fine,I guess in a long run,compared to gassers ignition parts,it's not so costy as it first might seem.That NAPA controller is cheap,unfortunately here are all taxes and shippings that raise prices up.

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

18. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

http://www.napaonline.com

Search for "glow plug", enter your truck's info, and take a look:

NAPA Echlin Glow Plug Controller, Item#: ECHGPC102, $129.00
    NAPA Echlin Diesel Glow Plug Relay , Item#: ECHGPR100, $21.99
    AC Delco Glow Plug, Item#: AC 11G, $12.69 each.
    AC Delco Glow Plug / Engine Temp Switch, Item#: ACD212319, $19.96
    That's what turned up for my '84 diesel. Doesn't look to expensive to me.

And you were right, I had the controller and relay mixed up in an earlier post.

Dan Oglesby

19. OFFRDK5

Do not get the AG 11's!! They can still mushroom and be a pita to get out. The AG 60s are the ones to get!! Maybe a bit more expensive, but I would rather get something I don't have to worry about for a long time!!

SK-15
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

20. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I was just giving an example for some prices, that's all...

AG 60's, huh? I'll have to keep that in mind when I go shopping in a month or so. Thanks!

Dan Oglesby