Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should I drive it home?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, May 16, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I have just gotten my blazer back together... new motor, 14 bolt and dana 44 more lift and such. Everything is doing good, drove it 60 miles since. I know the rear pinion seal is leaking a little and one of the front ball joints has a little play in it, really not bad though. I'm so happy that it's together and I have been toying with the idea of driveing it from here in Albany to long island, then next weekend it would have to make the trip back up. Anyone think I am stupid to try it? The trip one way is about 200 miles plus it would give the motor some time to wear in on the highway.
    Thanx

You call that dirty!?

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

The ball joint is not too much of a concern as long as it turns when you turn the wheel ... a little play can be compensated for, but be careful!

The pinion seal ... how much is a little? Hell, the engine, tranny and rear diff. leak a bit ( tiney bit), I'd make that drive without a problem ... but up to you! Hate to see you burn up the new axle.

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

YOu can always take an extra bottle or 2 of gear lube adn stop adn check it every so often and fill as needed. ? is how much is it leaking???

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

New gears in the 14 FF? I think there are break-in procedures for that but wait for those diff guys to answer...

5. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Thanx guys, just needed a word from some others... No the axles came outta a 76 suburban and it had 4.10 in it so I left it alone. They seemed to be in good shape. The diff isn't leaking that bad, but I think I'll change the seal anyways, it's easy enough. thanks for your help.

You call that dirty!?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Break in on a new motor should not be one constant speed for an extended period. Also don't want to sit and idle in traffic. Nice back road where speed changes regularly is the recomend type of driving for the first few hundred miles to get the rings seated. That's also why it is not recomended to put a full synthetic in a new motor.
    I would avoid running 200 miles at a constant speed if there is only 60 miles on the motor since it has been put in. It's not the distance that matters it's the steady speed. If you can back road it or your trip includes some regular stops every 30-50 miles where your speed changes then go for it if it's running good. Should be broke in by 500 miles. and hwy cruising will be OK then. The other stuff as long as the diff is not pouring oil should be fine. The break on on new diff gears is simular. Constant speed to be avoided for extended times.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>