Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I get a diff Blazer/Sub or try to restore mine?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Sep 24, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

My 80 Jimmy needs:

2 front fenders
    Pass rear quarter
    Doors are in iffy shape
    Hood is a little tweaked
    Carpet
    Sidepanels
    Dashpad
    Headliner
    Seats wouldn't hurt
    Tailgate is also in iffy shape
    gears, lift, bigger tires
    Paint
    driveshaft balance maybe
    grill, headlight trim
    Etc.

Or I could buy a better one with a good rust free body for $3500-5500. Older, newer, Blazer or Sub. Sometimes the size of a sub would be nice but i'm not too sure about the parking and possibly blind spots. A newer K5 would have TBI and nicer, easier to find stuff for interior. A 1st gen might be cool to have. Don't know what to do. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's a lot of work that needs to be done. The list for my truck is accumulating as well, and I've thought about getting a "new" truck and swapping stuff over. I was looking this past summer at some online car sales stuff ( www.autotrader.com has some pretty user-friendly features) and I could get a '90-'91 suburban from the rust-free south for around $5000. Granted there's a lot of work to swap things over from your current truck, but you'll end up with a solid vehicle instead of a pieced-together, non-OEM truck. Personally, I'd go with the "buy a new truck" route, but it really depends on dollar figures for me. Adding up the cost of a truck minus what I could sell mine for and comparing that to the cost of doing some body work and replacing a few worn out things.

Oh, and about:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sometimes the size of a sub would be nice but i'm not too sure about the parking and possibly blind spots

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't worry about blind spots...they'll move. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

RESTORE! RESTORE! RESTORE!

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you're list has been adjusted... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    My 80 Jimmy needs:

0 front fenders, they just get in the way of massive meats.
    no rear quarter panels, go tube + flatbed
    Doors are in iffy shape, but thats ok, tube doors r better
    Hood, hammered back into shape so it will close/open
    no Carpet, thats what Line-X, Rhinoliner or herculiner r for
    Sidepanels, again, not needed on a flat bed...
    Dashpad, time for the desert racer-inspired aluminum/tube dash
    Headliner
    Seats, scour the wrecking yard for some pimp import seats
    Tailgate, ditch it, saves on weight
    gears, lift, bigger tires, all required! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    Paint, who needs paint? line-x the cab, all other sheetmetal is expendable, rattle can it
    driveshaft from HAD
    tube front-bumper with integral lights/turn signals/winch mounting
    Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

there, MUCH better. saved you mad $$$ to. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

5. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I agree, restoring doesnt sound too bad. I recently bought an 87 K5 for $600, that had cruppled fenders, screwed up hood, broken grill, lights, etc (deere crash), almost no floor on drivers side, not much better on passenger side, some body rust, inner fenders rusted out, bad carpet, tailgate with rust holes everywere, and 4 wheel drive sounded wierd, but i spent a couple hundred bucks, fixed it up, and it's great now. i hope to get some real suspension and tires soon too, but im a student, so im poor. thats just my little opinion, good luck with whatever you decide to do. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. jekbrown

alternatively you could remove the entire body and find an old S-10 cab and swap it on. Oughta be able to find a cab for $100 or less... and once installed your rig would be lighter and hella more capable.

j

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Then it wouldn't be a K5.

8. jekbrown

well, technically it wouldnt be a k5 with a dana60 in it either, but no one seems to complain about that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

all depends on what ur gonna do with ur rig I guess... if ur actually gonna take it offroad, i think my 1st post is the best (not to mention the cheapest!) way to go. If its a bling restoration thing, then I'd prolly get a different truck rather than trying to resurrect the one ya got. I mean, if the body just had some damage you could work on it... but you seem to be missing several things.. Id just get another rig.

j

9. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

After thinking it over more I'm going to keep it (unless insurance gets too high from accident/ticket and whatnot) I won't fix any body damage though, I figure I'd be pissed if it got scratched/dented in the future, this way I don't care. As long as it runs and get me where I wanna go it's all good.

10. jekbrown

woohoo!! great decision. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I've found myself in the same spot you are in now. I love my truck but every now and then I want to sell her and buy a newer model "91". I thought about painting my truck but could not bare tearing it up goin down the trails with a 2,000 dollar paint job?! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I think you should keep your K5 and make her your own. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif