Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I get a new shaft...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, May 10, 2005.

?

What Should I Do?

1. Get the shaft back and get it lengthened elsewhere.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Get another shaft, hope it's good, and get it lengthened.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Have a new shaft made.

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. Have an upgraded shaft made.

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I stopped by our local off road shop last week to have my front shaft lengthened. Dropped it off, told him I needed 1.5" longer, and went on my merry way. I got a call this morning from the owner, he said that he put it in his lathe and the splines were pretty loose causing it to vibrate badly. I explained that I was nearing the end of my budget and I'd like him to lenghten it anyway. His reply was something to the effect of I'm sorry, but the shaft is in bad enough shape that I personally wouldn't wheel it so I'd really rather not see you put it behind those 40" boggers, it probably wouldn't last very long and then a bad shaft would have my name on it, it'd be better for you to get a good one or have one made.

I immediately perked up because an honest shop owner is kinda hard to find around here. (ask me how I know) I said alright, I'll come pick it up at the end of the week, wait, you make shafts don't you? He mentioned that he did and by the time I got done finding a new shaft and having it lengthened, it'd probably be about the same price. I chuckled and jokingly said right....and how much would that be smartass? He went and measured to get the tubing length and quoted me $190. This is for an all new CV front shaft. I about gagged because I've seen his work before and it's damn impressive. My options are these:

#1. Get my old shaft back and have somebody else lengthen it.

#2. Get a better shaft and have him lenghten it.

#3. Have a new shaft made.

#4. Have a new, upgraded shaft made, 1350 CV and 1410 at the other end.

Like I said, I'm nearing the end of my budget so even $190 is kind of a stretch, but if I stay with the 700/241 combo for a while, it'd probably be worth it. I never asked to see what a larger one would cost, but I doubt it'd be too much of a difference. BTW, a 700/241 shaft is about the longest front shaft chevy made that I know of, so finding a factory one that's the right length is probably pretty unlikely.

2. mikey_d05

Crap, didn't mean for this to be in the lounge, if a mod comes around can you move it to the garage please?

3. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

Without actaully knowing how bad your splines are really worn, it maybe hard to say. But going on experience with all the driveline shops around here. Keep it...take it to another shop. Also, you can have then run it in their machine so you can feel the vibration. I have 5 or 6 shafts a month made and used to get the same crap. Worn splines, u-joints(sometimes on brand new ones), etc. Just trying to cover their ass. They finally gave up on it and just do them they way I ask them to. Save your money and get a bigger jointed shaft down the road. Or try to win one from HAD :D

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I would spend the cash and get on from Jesse at HAD

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

;) ;) ;)

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

its the same length as a 700r4/np208, sm465/np208, sm465/np241, th400/np208, th400/np241. i think that just about covers anything 81 and newer ;)

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Square tube is your friend........ :whistle:

8. mikey_d05

Well, I've looked into it and it seems that I'm gonna go square tube for now. It's cheap as hell, allow me to go 56's in the future with minimal cost, I can salvage parts from my old shaft, and this truck is a trailer queen, so we're good to go.