Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I get a professional allignment?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Nov 3, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Im gonna move the newly rebuilt Blazer about 150 miles from my parents house to my current residence. I have crossover steering and brand new 37" SSRs. I alligned everyting pretty well. Used a tape measure, and Im pretty confident that I got it to within a 1/16" between the mold casting marks on the tires.

Should I get it laser alligned before I move it?
    Or do you think my method had alligned it good enough?

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Should be good...these are secrets to it. Before you align the truck...DON'T HIT THE BRAKES OR TURN THE WHEELS! This will change the scrub and cause subtle changes in the specs, so it's better to let it roll to a stop and set the parking brake. Measure toe in/out...try to get it within 1/8" between front and back, preferably with more toe in because, if anything, the road will push it outwards to more center.

Never go by casting marks, they can change tire to tire. Use a piece of angle iron and place across tire on sidewall so the iron touches the sidewall on each side of the wheel and measure distance between front and back of tire at that point.

I wouldn't worry about laser aligning. Our steering is not so complicated with a-arms and caster adjustment that we need to do that

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

with your size tires you can go 1/4 inch of toe in. bigger tires like this better. and the only thing thay will do for ya that day will be basicly set the toe and let it go. so save money.

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

OK, thanks, Ill check it again with a straitedge.
    The axle was swapped, so I had a fresh start.

Hopefully, I can keep these tires for a while :o