Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I get an S-10 over full size?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by anatomiczero, Jan 8, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Well the S-10 should get about 20 mpg, while the full size will get 10 (how many miles would a late model FI get) The S-10 would be should be easier to handle. Then there's the 4.3 which should have plenty of power (my parents astro w/ 4.3 gets up and goes)

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a '91 S-Jimmy. It does a pretty good job off road (I've actually amazed plenty of folks with where I've taken this thing!) [​IMG] But I use my K5 for the serious stuff. The frame on an S-10 hangs way down low. But it's also much narrower than a K5. I get 16-20 MPG with the S-10, vs. 10-13 MPG for the K5.

Lift kits for S-10's (or about any IFS truck) cost BIG money and are a lot of work to install. There's a kit out there that lets you swap in a solid front axle from a Jeep into an S-10, if you really want to get serious. [​IMG]

What is your intended use for the vehicle? Knowing that will help you make the right decision. Driving to work and back? Any towing? Mud? Rocks?

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I have a 94 S-10 Tahoe LT 4dr 4x4 with the 4.3V6 and it is a pretty nice vehicle. It is a IFS so it is limited but if you know what you can and can't do it will go a lot of places. Forget the S-10 SFA swap, go with the K5 instead. My truck has a 2" body lift, 2" Super lift, front pro stop discs, K&amp;N filter charger, Flowmaster exhaust, 3:73 gears, Poslock, Auburn Gear Pro LS, to name a few mods. It is better than a grocery getter but not a K5. I get 19.5 MPG unloaded in 2wd. If you are set on an S-10 get the ZR2!

Git there fastest with the mostest!
    Nathan Bedford Forest<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by scotty1 on 01/10/02 08:35 AM.</FONT></P>

4. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Well I'm not set on an S-10, I like full size a lot so I'll prob get a full size. I love the sound of a v8! Thanks for the replies.

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

5. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I've got a '95 S-10 Blazer that's completely stock with 3.23 gears that'll repeatedly get about 24-26mpg on the highway. That's about the only GOOD thing I can say about those gears!

It's the wife's only vehicle, and she loves it. LT model, so that means it's got just about everything plus leather.

I'd rather get a K5, even though my K5 is driving me completely up the wall with all sorts of little problems. At least I have a chance of working on my K5, the S-10 goes to the dealer for everything.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires