Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I Get New Rear Tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Oct 17, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

They are beginning to dry rot a little, they have some tread left, but the sidewall wearing out is beginning to worry me, I got them free from a guy that was a rock crawler, but he wanted bigger tires so he gave those to me. I have pictures, #1, #2,and #3.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've seen worse on the road /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif They probably have some life left in them. But, if it worries you and you have some money to spend, I suggest you invest in some new tires. Those are getting to the point where I'd be afraid to drive at freeway speeds with.

For your and others' safety, make those a gun-range backstop and buy some new ones.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That might be more from rubbing on the rocks, like what happens when you scrape the curb. They look OK to me.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sandman,
    I agree that they look OK. But I was also taking into account the tread life left. Just one more reason to dump them.
    Also, let's think about what happens while driving down the road. At speed, the sidewall is constantly flexing...thus creating heat. This heat not only softens the tire but it increases the air pressure inside the tire. These two combinations on a weak sidewall don't go together very well.

Also, if he has doubt in his tires (hence the post) he'd be better off replacing them.
    Just my opinion.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What makes you think the sidewalls are weak?

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i would say that are safe to run as a temporary solution. new tires should be had as sson as you can afford it, IMHO

i sure as heck would leave for a cross country trip on those, though....

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I can't see much dry rot in those pics. The spots where the white rubber is showing through is just from the tires being rubbed against the rocks. There's a layer of white rubber that ends up showing up as the white letters. If the tire gets dragged on stuff alot, then the outer black layer gets worn away, which lets the white show through.

If there are dry rot cracks in the sidwalls, BFG will pro-rata warranty the tires, IF they were made less than 5 years ago. There's a date code on the sidewall that shows when they were made. They claim that it isn't really dangerous, but since the big deal over the Firestone Wilderness AT's they don't take any chances.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The discoloration/wear marks near the seam. And zcarczar talking about dry rot. I'm thinking he can describe the condition of his tires better than we can see it.

9. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Two words baby, burnout contest!!

10. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Lose the tires their could be nothing worse in life the explaining to the cops that you lost control of your truck and hit some family in their car maybe causing some permit damage I am stretching this to make a point if you think it is a maybe soon maybe now is the time /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, I will replace them as soon as I get the money. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I did get pictures of the dry rot, and all the numbers on the sidewall, maybe someone can help me find the date code.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I buying some Walmart tires. Might wanta look at some. Can't beat the prices.

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, here are the pics dry rot, the picture didnt come out that good, but where the yellor lines are there is dry rot close by. Here and Here is the pictures of the sidewall.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Any BFG dealer can find the date code for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It will be sorta branded into the sidewall somewhere. All the numbers that are molded into the tire will be slightly raised while the date code numbers will be indented.