Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I get rid of my Stepside?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 24, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I originally bought this '82 Stepside as it sits, with a built 396 with 2000 miles, SM465/NP205, 4" lift, widened out fenders (enough to clear 40s and not rub), Dana 60 front, 14-bolt rear, Detroit lockers, 4.10s, and Ramsey winch.

I paid more for it than I ever usually do for a vehicle (luckily I sold enough other stuff I had laying around to pay for it.) The initial plan was to keep the locked Dana 60 and 14-bolt, 396 and winch, put a 350, 3/4 ton axles and a stock bumper on it, a quick paint job, then re-sell it for the same price I paid for it.

BUT, I kinda liked it, and it was already built the exact way I liked it. So I decided to keep it. I hated driving a rig I didn't build myself, and didn't like having that much money in it, yet I figured that I'd keep it as long as I could unless I needed money.

Now, today, the motor started knocking. So I have to pull it and check out the crank and replace bearings. If this truck is going to become another "project moneypit" forget it. I'm going back to the original plan if I start tearing it apart. Later I'll get another stepside for cheap and build it up.

Things I hate giving up are the fact that the body is rust free and the fenders are one of a kind and professionally done... the truck sits low and street legal yet clears up to 40's.

Think I should send it down the road (keeping the parts I want of course and selling it as a good running 350 powered 3/4 ton)?

Or should I pull and rebuild the motor and have it become another permanent needy "child"?

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

sounds like you've already made your decision...

If all she needs is a motor i say keep her unless you need to money.

3. mountainexplorer

My problem is that I have 6 other vehicles waiting non-running waiting for me to get motors for them that will last. If I wait around until I rebuild this one or another one for it (the way I want it, too), then it will end up sitting with the rest. I figured if I did get close to all my money back out of the truck, I'd be able to get most of the other rigs going.

4. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Your bound to have a running motor of some sort laying around somewhere, slap it in the stepside for the time being, and next motorhome you pick up for cheap, or free w/ a running big block, walla. I wouldn't get rid of the stepside, I really like it and sounds like you do too.

5. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Keep it and sell one of your other trucks.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yea, man, keep it for daily driving, or takin' the lady out! :laugh:

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I can understand you would rather build one than buy it, However you already own it and its just like you would want to buil it so why not keep it. I'm sure it would end up costing you more in the long run if you sold that one and built another one like it with new parts.

Just the way I see it anyway :wink1:

8. mountainexplorer

I never buy new parts though. :wink1:

Most of the rigs I have are pieced together for pretty cheap.

Now that it's the day after the motor blew, I'm thinking I might try and hang onto it. For this coming weekend, it's going to get my Suburban's 454... the last running 454 that I have besided the Crew Cab.

If that motor blows up too, I won't know what to think.

9. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

You could trade some of the guys here a few of them Dana 60's for a few motors. :D

10. BigCountryx

That's what I was saying, I knew you had a BB to transplant. It'll be a beast again shortly.

Hey now that your doing a motor swap, I guess You've built part of it huh. You outta feel better about it now, being you don't like the thought of someone else having built your truck for you. lol Little by little it'll be all your own :D

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

12. mountainexplorer

It came from Oregon on July 21 this year.
    [​IMG]
    On July 23rd, I went to a mud bog with it and they picked it for the 2nd place trophy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The weekend after that I played around with it in my mud pits and up the road, then played in the pits once in August and used it to tow around all the junk vehicles.
    [​IMG]
    On September 10th I entered it at the Sprague Mud Races and got 3rd place in Street and Trail.
    [​IMG]
    Then Saturday, Sept. 24th, I took it to Harrington, got stuck 2 out of 3 runs, won nothing, and had rod bearings start knocking.
    [​IMG]

That's the entire history of the truck since I first got it 2 months ago.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yeah, its a keeper! with a track record like that, a clean body, and the custom fenders, you'd be crazy to sell it.

14. mountainexplorer

If I do keep it, then I need to decide on what color to paint it. Any ideas?

(I already have something the following colors- 4 shades of blue; red, maroon, orange and black, green and silver, camo, white, dark brown, tan, and school bus yellow; so I want to try something different)

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

orange, i dunno why, it just looks like it should be all orange though. :dunno:

16. mountainexplorer

Orange would kind of be a repeat of my '75 K5, which is Wal-Mart spray can orange and black.
    [​IMG]

I thought about a bright green... but somethings holding me back on that thought. Then there was plain black... but I don't know.

17. BigCountryx

Bright Green works Clicky But I would still probably go black, or Barney Purple :doah: :haha:

Then again maybe try a multicolor design with Green, Brown, Tan and a silverish purple looking rear end :D Bet that would look hot! :haha:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine is marooon..

My 82 K20 Stepside is a dark Maroon Cranbery metallic..I like the looks of it..needs new paint though...its faded!..

I find bright reds and orange or lime green flouresent trucks attract attention of the cops if you are going a bit over the speed limit, more so than other colors.(Arrest me Red! :haha: ).some guys around here paint their trucks white or "ohmaha orange",or"safety" yellow to make them look like utility company trucks or DPW trucks..seems to work!..

"Cammo" or flat black trucks that look ratty and are mud covered get pulled over a lot more often around here than a clean looking truck...and ones with dark blue paint,and a big star on the doors,is definately one that will get more than its share of scrutiny..my 74 K20 was dark blue,someone put round decals on it--it resembled a state police truck--I shaved the decals off almost as soon as I got it,after a cop asked why I was attempting to make it look "official"..

If your not worried about the attention it might get--GM trucks look pretty good ANY color,as long as its all one color,and not all rusty..I've had more trucks in red oxide or black primer than any other color..my 79 C10 looks like a stick of butter ,its a "desert sand" beige!..kinda bland!..but I dont get much attention in it either.. :crazy: