Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should I give my orig water pump as core??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHAWNSTER, Feb 6, 2007.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

I am going through the cooling system on my 62 cadillac, and will be buying what is supposed to be an original rebuilt water pump painted factory color(blue) I think for $157 with a $157 core charge totaling $314 which is a lot for a water pump-out of 10 auto resto guys it was 50/50 on keeping it I guess preference what do you guys think-this car is 100 % original (minus plugs etc which i still have originals)as far as i can tell and what im told by the p o

thanks for the help

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You could always get this one for $230 shipped.

He has 3 avaialble.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Keep it , sounds expensive , and worth keeping .

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

why keep the core, if it's not any good :confused:

5. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

About 10 years ago I used to work at a NAPA and we would have restoration guys bring us water pumps that they needed rebuilt. We would send it off and get the same one back. Not sure if this is still done.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can probably get a rebuild kit for yours. As long as the impeller isn't rusted apart (you can probably get those too actually) it should be a simple rebuild operation. I know the Corvette guys do this.

For $157, I'd seriously consider redoing my own. Only part I'd be leery of is pulling the impeller off the shaft, depending on how it's attached.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

X2!

Yes,I have done the same for many cranberry bog farmers old trucks that had "rare" water pumps,and for old car enthusiasts who wanted to keep all the "matching number" OEM parts on their cars..A-1 Cardone had a special service where you could send stuff in to be rebuilt and get the original part back..not sure if that still exists..

Rebuilding a water pump yourself IS possible,but finding the parts is not easy in some cases...it's not that they dont exist--its hard to get them from a rebuilding place,since they want to do it,and make all the profit!..they usually either charge outrageous prices for the kit,or refuse to sell it,period.

I've done a few,all that was required was a new bearing and seal,the few I did had good shafts and impellers,just the seals were dried up and cracked..they used a long needle type bearing,and you'll need a hydraulic press or arbor press to assemble it..

Have you looked in a Hemmings Motor News catolog for places that rebuild water pumps?..if not,I would,your price sounds steep!..I bet if I looked around my area at old parts stores,someone might still have one in stock--but it would probably be all dried up from sitting for years..

There is a place in Weymouth MA,called "Then and Now" Auto Parts--they probably have one freshly rebuilt,or can get you one..might not be much cheaper though..might be worth trying them??...we got a ton of "extinct" parts from them when restoring antiques at the junkyard I worked at..they bought a lot of cores from us too..

:crazy:

8. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

problem solved

Well, turns out I can send him my pump, and they rebuild it to new spec and send it back to me for the same price of $157-thats pretty cool-new original part and they even paint it cadillac blue

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Because some numbers matching , date coded weirdo in Hemmings motor news , who doesn't really drive their vehicle , who probably worships it in some weird B.O.P bellhousing ritual will probably buy it if you sit on it :D

10. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

gawd, you meet these people too.

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That right there is sig material.

-- A

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

never knew there were numbers stamped on the water pumps that are matched up with the numbers on a particular engine block :crazy:

send it in, get it rebuilt

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If they are bad like the Corvette guys, they can probably identify what the temperature was outside when the thing was made based solely on a picture of it.