Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should I go for earl scheib paint job?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foreverchevy, Mar 3, 2002.

1. foreverchevy

foreverchevy Registered Member

I want to get my 90 blazer painted but I dont want to get hit in my wallet...earl scheib seems ok with the price but I dont want the paint chipping off in a year or so...I'm thinking about going for the pro three package...they gave me a price of 674.00 with very little body work...my truck is in great shape except for the paint is chipping offf on the hood and doors...anyone had there truck painted at earl's let me know how it was....send me some pic's of your rig. thanks

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I had them do 2 trucks of mine. I thought the first time was just bad luck and tried again a few years later. Spend the extra money and go to some place better. I went with the top of the line job with some body work. The body work was terrible. The paint was runny and light in some spots. I came by right after it was painted and pointed out a glob of something in the wet paint ... the salesman stuck his finger in it, wiped it out and said, "There, it's gone". Of course, now there was a big finger swipe on my door, but that didn't seem to bother him. Also, they don't paint beds ... and don't tell you until after the paint job.

Also, they don't guarantee rust, and will just paint right over it. If you go with them, DO THE RUST WORK YOURSELF!!! Don't believe the salesman when he says they'll try to take care of it, but won't warrant it.

Eric M.

3. foreverchevy

thanks for the info...if I go to another paint and body shop I know I will be spending a lot more. I guess I'm looking at it like this, I don't expect a showroom job and if I go somewhere else and spend more $$$$ and end up with a scatch on the truck I'm gonna be pissed. Well how much do you think I should spend on a good paint job, I'm gonna shop around still and get some more prices and what not, but if no one can paint the truck for what earl is asking i guess i should go there. Anything would look better then whats on there now...
    one reply i got for this...I thought us k5'rs stick together. thanks again!!!
    Eric l.

4. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

This is Jimmyjack, my computer is burned to the ground so Im borrowing Dons. I had Earl Scheib paint my blazer 3 yurs ago for$300 including body work and I think its awesome! I figured I would only mess it up so no big deal!

5. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Has anyboby tried to go to their local Jr. College to get their advanced body class to paint their Blazer?
    Do you just pay for materials?
    I would think the down side would be the time it sits in the class.
    Just a thought.

73 Blazer So. Ca.

6. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Rattle cans are the only way to go, and to be honest, they don't look half bad.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A quality complete paint job from a good shop will run you about $2k. Think about that as you head into the woods...

If you have a good place to do it, consider doing as much prep work as possible yourself. The spraying itself isn't very time consuming. It's all of the sanding and prep that runs the bill up. This is especially good if there is no rust or dents. You can sand everything down to where it needs to be and then drive it to the shop just for masking, cleaning, final prep and spraying. You will have to find the right shop to work with you on something like this, though and communicate with them a lot to make sure that you are getting it prepped according to their requirements.

Also, do your self two favors and get the hardtop painted to match and get the bedrails painted with the rear quarters so that it is all good when you go topless. You should be able to build a jig out of 2x4's that holds the top 6-10 inches higher than it's normal mounted position. Then you just need to mask off the area behind the gap and the top can be sprayed along with the truck, while still hitting the bedrails.

If you will be replacing your own bumpers, try to get two guys to help you so that you minimize the chance of gouging up your new paint job.

8. foreverchevy

there we go some more post, I love this place! I think i'm gonna do the prep work myself once it gets warmer out,see I'm in buffalo and it's still cold out here, but we had some snow so I was able to play in it, that was fun! guys thanks for all the info and if anyone else has some feel free to post it. thanks...

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

they painted my sisters car the wrong color of green. then held the color swatch up to it and you could see it was WAY off and INSISTED it was the same color. with them you will have diferent colors inside than out.
    Grant

10. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

DO IT ALL YOURSELF!!!! I just got finished doing mine last week. I think i spent about $200 and it came out AWESOME. I figured I'd just be scratching it up once I get it on the dirt so why pay the big bucks. I have gotten LOTS of compliments on it and most are surprised that i did it myself. Here are a few pics.
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album

11. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

You can get a really good pait job really cheap if you go through the Jr. College or check into a high school's vocational progams. I had a show car I had a while back (mid 80's) painted in a 3 stage paint and ghost flames and it cost me less than $400! If your in a hurry though take it somewhere else. It took them a couple of months but I had a lot of body work done too, shaved all the body trim and door handles, had door cylinoids installed, ect.
    The answer is/was yes they do it for the cost of materials.

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The problem with doing it yourself is that you have to realize you can't operate a paint gun in your front yard. You have to have someplace to do it. A barn is fine, but in my situation I don't have anywhere to do it.
    I'm also considering Earl Sheib. What did the Pro 3 include for ` $700?
    I don't want to pull dents or anything like that - there will only be more dents to follow.
    -- Mike

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't let Earl Scheib pait a dog house!

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Depends on what one you go too.... some suck, some don't.... there's one in town here that is great. But it's because the manager is a with it, and the workers are good. The rest from what I know suck... ask around town to see if you have anything like this going on... even expensive places can mess up and suck if the workers are no good....

15. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Damn, Esteban that looks great!

16. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Steve!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif