Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should i go roll cage or bar?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 15, 2003.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a 83 truck long bed. i would like the benefits of a cage but i don't want to go through the cab body or the rear window to the bed. i also would like to keep it hidden as much as possible inside the cab. So im thinking just a roll bar in the bed would be what i want. Right? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Most of what are called "roll bars" are pretty much useless in a roll over. If your truck is primarily a pavement rig or moderate trail rig, no big deal, whatever you like. But if you really get into positions where rolls are likely (especially multiple rolls) then you absolutely want a good cage. Check this out.
    http://www.swracecars.com/roll%20bars%26cages.html
    They have roll bars that work (though not for a pickup I think) and roll cages that do not cut through the cab. There are many others as well…

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Usually the ones you see in the beds of pickups are called custom bars. Just make a customized roll bar in the bed that attaches to the frame, though you would have to cut holes in the bed.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If I had a pickup I would look for a light bar that is a nice one piece and actually strong that I could make mounts for under the bed that tie it to the frame. Would get the looks but still functionality. I hate to see a truck with a "roll bar" that is like bolted together with tiny bolts that will just shear off and never do anything with their like 18 guage sidewalls.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i don't mind if i cut the bed, just the cab because of the winter cold would leak throgh.

6. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

Actually there is a way to seal it off so that the cold doesn't come through. When you run the bars through the cab, make your hole a little bigger than the bar so it can flex around without tweaking and then put a rubber grommet over the bar where it passes through the cab just like the steering column and all your wiring holes in the firewall. Just a thought but that might make it easier to work with.