Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I go with a Big Block or Small Block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Aug 31, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I'm wanting to put a new engine in my K5. I can get a Big Block for next to nothin, Ive been told its brand new, but i would have to see. Or I can wait and find a Small block block and use the guts I have sitting in my garage from the Bad Vortec Engine I got. So I have a dilema, Big Block or Small Block? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ummm i would say go with the big...

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Go big!

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Think a 700R-4 would hold up alright? What about gas mileage? I get about 5 right now, Im sure i would get better if I had a bigger engine. Also is there aything i Have to change with the ECM if its a stock motor? Can i just put a bigger TBI unit on it instead?

Thanks in Advance.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you get 5 now you have serious problems.

And no, a stock 700R4 will not hold up to a big block.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Coming from me, a BBC user of course, would recommend the BBC. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My oponion is go with a small block. The stock 700r4 wont last behind a mild smallblock so it deffinately will be killed by a bigblock. Nothing against a bigblock but I just like the smallblocks. To me the extra power from a bigblock is not worth the difference in the amount of gas they use. Case in point was Paragon the other weekend. I filled up Friday morning, drove 2 hours to Paragon, drove around town Friday, wheeled all day Sat, wheeled some on Sun, drove home and finally stopped for gas 15 minutes from my house. Try that with a bigblock. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Unless it is an offroad only truck I would stick with a smallblock.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ummm YEA say what 5 miles to the gallon!?? whats wrong with your engine..you should be getting at least 12-13 i would say!

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've run both and the Big Block is the only way to go.

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

depends on what you really want.with big block you may have to replace front springs with higher rate for the the added wieght of the big block.you will have to change also engine mounts and maybe move your crossmembers to accomodate the big block.i think the small block is the better choice as you dont have to modify anything.just have to rebuild what you got.ive thought about changing to a big block but i dont want to have to worry about modifying everything else to fit one in my truck.if you have the money,nohow and the patience to change over to a big block then go for it,but like i said i wouldnt because it takes a moderate amount of work and money to do it.also my truck is daily driver 60 miles to work and back,so gas econemy would also go down woth the big block.i get about 10 miles per gallon now,and id probably be broke witrh a big block.just my .02 and maybe a little more.

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

When my last engine blew, I was also faced with this decision. I had a big block in my shop that only needed a mild rebuild. I based my decision on the fact that I already break enough parts w/ a small block, and I have never needed more power, so why go bigger? Currently I have a TBI 350 w/ about 260 hp & 275 lb. ft. of torque. I am happy with it.

12. Sandman

The motor mounts are the same, the tranny cross mounts do not move. This is a bolt in deal except for the exaust. Perhaps you where thinking of a Ford?

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i thought you had to change mounts and stuff.so you can take a chevy long block 454 and take out your 350 and replace it with no modificattions except exhaust??i thought there was a lot more involved.

14. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

Go with the small block, everybody runs um. that includes all the heeps on the trail too and your more likely to find parts to build or repair it too. Big blocks do make big power but they put a huge dent in the wallet too. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

15. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Some time ago I was faced with the same decision. Having two friends, one with a big block and the other with a small block gave me my answer. The one had a brand new 350, the other a 454 with approx. 70,000 miles. The guy with the SBC wanted gas mileage, the other wanted raw power. They swapped. The BBC was treated to a Comp Cams Hi-Energy 260H cam kit before intalled. Afterwards, the guy with the smallblock went from 15 mpg to 16 (2wd) the other went from 15 to 14 mpg (4wd). Bottom line, the BBC didn't work as hard and delivered more power with only 1 mpg difference than the SBC. And it was still running great when my friend sold it with 150,000 miles. I went out and got a BBC and dropped it in my '67 C10 (402) and another for my '69 K20 (462). From my experience, I'll go with the BBC anyday! Also, on the trail, the big blocks ruled. The only engine that consistantly kept up at low rpm's was...292 I6's! They were as tough as any trucks going. Why do you get such poor gas mileage? I found a 3 mpg difference with the hubs locked in on my particular truck but still got WAY better than any 5 mpg! Drop in the BBC and enjoy!

16. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Definitely go with the BBC. When i dropped in the 502, just had to do some rework on the firewall for valve covers, but not a lot. Everything else bolted right up. But this is also strictly offroad except for occasional cruise thru town with the wife and kids. Its a rush knowing u have a lotta power at your foot at anytime. Good luck with either choice.

17. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

What Temp. Do the BBC trucks run? Mine will get up to 210 with the A/C goin on a hot day in traffic or climbing a grade with the A/C on. I dont know what is wrong with my truck, all i know is that gas mileage sucks, i have no power, and the Check Engine Light is on a lot.

18. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

My '95 runs 210 all the time maybe 215/ 220 pulling a hill with the a/c on and it was about 115 outside.

19. Sandman

My '92 454 runs at 210 and maybe 220 when towing with the A/C on. My Blazer with the 454 runs at 190 and pretty much stays there.

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

pretty hard to beat a mild BB in a truck