Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I go with a Corporate 14 bolt???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 12, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of going with a Corporate 14 bolt for my Blazer I could get one for $200 with 4:10s from some guy, I now have a 12 bolt open, I've heard some good things about the Corporate 14s I'm only thinking of running 35s not bigger, or should I regear my 12bolt to 4:10s and the front one too, the front one is a 10 bolt Dana 44 what do you guys think.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

2. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Stay with the 12 bolt. And let me get reed of the 14 bolt. Just JOKING. I think that the 14 bolt is the way to go. I have broke 3, 12bolts and now looking for a 14 bolt. Just my opinion.

3. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Regearing probably cost just as much, if not more, than the $200 he´s asking. 14 bolts would handle 35" with ease. If you keep your diff open you´d have a very hard time breaking it, even if you REALLY wanted to[​IMG]. Downer is the lug count and the rear drum size, so you´ll need new rims.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

4. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Does it matter if the 14 bolt comes out of a 3/4 ton pick up, 2WD or does it have to be a 4WD? cause the one the guy is selling is from a pick up 2WD

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Go 14. $200 beans, sounds like a good deal. Dana44's upfront is good, but Dana60's would be best.
    Boss

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You can use one from a 2WD, it makes no difference.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think either a 2wd or 4wd one will work, as long as it of the same type of vehicle. There are two different types of 14 bolts, one is a full floater and one is a semi floater. The full floater will have a large hub protruding out of the center of the brake drum, about 4" in diameter with bolts along the perimeter. The full floating is much stronger, but the semi floating is still a good bit stronger than a 12 bolt. Also, either one will probably require 8 lug wheels, so plan on buying new rims and converting the front to 8 lugs.
    As far as strength, a 12 bolt usually doesn't have any problems withstanding 35" tires if driven with at least a little bit of sanity. I think a full floater 14 bolt is overkill for all but the most extreme vehicles and conditions, but it is virtually bulletproof.
    For gearing, it would probably cost at least $150 in parts for the gears and such and another $100-$150 to have them installed in the 12 bolt.

8. mpikas

mpikas Registered Member

I’ve never done this on a truck, so I’m not sure if there are issues that I don’t know about, but I have on a car. Everyone talks about having to convert to 8 lug fronts and new wheels, has anyone looked into drilling the flanges for 6 lugs, or does anyone make a flange/axle conversion kit? I guess that you could just run the 6 lug drums and the stock wheels then, and probably save a lot of money over converting the front and coming up with new wheels.

9. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Now that sounds good, does anybody make a kit to convert the 8 lug to 6 lug so I wont have to buy the new rims, and that way I would only need the kit for the back, since I have the 6 lug in the front already, if anybody know about this let us know thanks.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Going to a 14bolt is a logical answer but one thing people forget to mention i that a FF14bolt hangs a few inches lower than a 12 bolt.
    If you run in mud and deep ruts alot, this will make difference.
    I hear that in mud with a FF14 bolt, that you should run 38's.. That is just what i have heard.
    A SF(semi floater) 14 bolt is only 1" lower than a 12bolt and would cause less ground clearence problems.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

every body wants those 14 bolt rears. I run them in all my 1/2 tons . broken to many 12 bolts. I just threw 2 out!!!! nobody would buy them. 200.00! I offered it here for 40.00 and got no responces. Where are you located? I can get 1 back. 2 and 4 wheel drive are the same, dual wheel axels are a different width. you will need different ujoints and maybe a different drive shaft. I have always used the 3/4 ton drive shaft and had it cut to fit whatever truck this one is going in.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

12. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I'm in California, my 12 bolt is good for now I was thinking of upgrading to the 14 bolt since I saw this one pretty cheap.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

13. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Hey, you all are missing a pretty important thing !!! As I said in my earlier post: THE REAR DRUMS ARE BIGGER and therefore require 16" or 16.5" rims, whatever the lug count is.
    Another thing is 14 bolts from a pickup needs new spring perches, as the pick up frames are narrower. Try and find a 3/4 ton 14 bolt rear from a Suburban, and it´ll bolt right up.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

14. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Stay with the 12bolt and throw your money at the gears and alocker or two.you can also throw in a ff kit from warn in the 12 bolt the new shafts are almost as strong as the 14 bolt.the 14 bolt is a heavy huge rearend good for large tires.they hang up on everything even with 36's.with the ff kit you have a choice of rear lockout hubs (dana 60 size)or drive flanges.and disk brakes are easy to install with this kit.Brady

15. solid454

solid454 Registered Member

i puicked up a ff14 bolt for $115 not to long ago. i havent put it in yet (still rebuilding it, junk yards are fun). my friend has one in his 73 picvk-up and loves it.

BIG HEAVY AND MEAN

16. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>OK 14 bolts are good if your running really big tires. for 35s, the 14 bolt sf is probably the best because you don't have to change the front or switch wheels. If you have to have a FF, I'm going with a dana 60 and 3/4 ton d44 from bablazer. The 60 is a little lighter and has a little more clearence under it. Plus more lockers are availible.</font color=blue>

17. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Depending on the type of wheeling you do, I'd suggest staying with the 12. Why: Take into consideration, you will need new wheels, new tires, regear front & rear. Other added negatives is the massive weight of the 14 and the large loss of ground clearance. You will need to put on 35" tires to gain back the clearance you had with a stock 10 / 12 bolt. The only real gain of the 14 is the strength.

I've opted to install a S/F 14 into my truck with a disc conversion. The S/F 14 is much lighter than the FF 14, you won't lose as much ground clearance as the FF will rob. The only advantage over the S/F that the FF has is the lack of C-clip axles.

So, think hard about what you want. I don't see the FF 14 as much a advantage over a lot of the other axles offered. Unless you do hard core wheeling.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

18. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

You know what guys, after looking at the pros and cons of the 14, if I go with the 14 I do have to make alot of modifications, I dont really have the money to buy new rims, and all the other stuff I might just regear my 10/12 I dont really do alot of hard wheeling once in a while I do go up in the Mountains in the mud but not really, I guess my truck is mostly gonna be for my two hobbies hunting and girls, and like I said once in a while go mudding, hey if I get stuck I have my tow strap nothing to worry about right??? about 3 months ago I pulled a F*rd out of the mud in front of alot of guys and you know how that makes you feel so I should be ok, but now what gears should be enough for my needs, a guy at 4Wheels parts told me that the 4:10 should be enough for my 35s and the kind of use that I plan for them.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

19. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

ps. if somebody wants the phone # for the guy that has the 14 just let me know, he's in southern California.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

20. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I'd get the 14ff. you can grind off 1/2 inch of housing for better clearence, you can get the cheapest Detroit out there for a locker, TSM can outfit the disk brakes for the rear which removes extra weight and finally if you know a good machinist-have lugs repostioned or I'd just wait for some 8 lug hubs for my front end