Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I grab this while I can?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 87Blazerlady, Dec 15, 2002.

1. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

Saw this on TV today and I am leary of the infomercials.
    Saw that a couple people on another thread have the AMD Athlon. Check this out: www.tigertv.com
    Would this be a great deal? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

i have an amd and am happy with it but, before i got dsl, with the dial up thing, it was like owning a race horse with nowhere to run, there are good puter deals out there for alot less, shop around, i am no expert but i noticed a big difference with cable or dsl and could more use the puter to its full potential so to speak, good luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

It's totally dependent on what you'll use the computer for. If you do a lot of photo/video editing, you need LOTS of memory and a top of the line graphics card. In multimedia editing, memory amount AND speed along with your graphics board are almost as important, if not more than your processor speed. If you plan on getting broadband internet, forget the modem and earthlink access, they'll just be a waste. If you just plan on surfing the internet and downloading songs, movies, etc, then you'll want to worry more about your hard disk size and a good sound system than anything else. The DVD burner is a large chunk of money, and if you don't plan on making your own movies to burn or downloading movies off the internet and burning them to DVD, then you really don't need it, in my opinion. Better off spending the extra money on a faster processor or more memory. For these reasons, i find it a generally bad idea to get a pre-packaged deal. Better off to find a company/store that will make the computer based on your needs/specs. This way you won't be paying for things you don't need. If you want to talk anymore about it, send me a PM and i'll help you any way i can. Oh, and AMDs are very good chips, they perform just as well, sometimes better, than Intel and are much cheaper.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think you'd be better off calling Dell, Gateway, IBM, ...ect. and have them put together a computer to meet your needs. If nothing else, call them, and price a computer with everything you want, and go from there.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Overpriced, IMO.
    Athlon XP's are the sure way to go.
    If you can build your own, you can do it for less.
    DVD burners aren't THAT expensive anymore. I see them for less than $200 (well, like $197) all the time.
    I would want a CD burner instead of the CD-ROM. Soemtimes all you want is 700MB and you can burn that for the cost of a disc, like 10 cents. No need to waste a $$ DVD.
    -- MIke

6. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

eds77k5......I know I'm not getting full potential out of my computer. I always pull back on the reigns by only having dial-up. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Z3PR.....Dell & Gateway have always been high on my list, but this brand has now also caught my eye.

75-k5 and TX Mudder.....Sounds like having my computer built is the best way to go for my pocketbook. I always had the assumption that it would cost more that way. ("customised" sounds more expensive)