Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I hold out for a 96-98 6.5?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 76_Cheyenne, Dec 10, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Im looking like crazy to find a new (used) truck. I want a 96-98 cause 96 is when they introduced the new cooling system. I talked to a GM tech and he said If im buying I should wait because the cooling upgrade is important. What do you guys think? I stop at 98 cause I cannot afford anything more. Its tough to find a good 96-98 3/4 ext. long box with a 6.5l and a 5spd. I found one, but its to far away. SHould I hold out for the upgraded cooling system?

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

The newer cooling system didn't come out until 97, and Yes it is worth saving up for. Join www.thedieselpage.com for detailed information.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well depending on the truck it may be more economical to get a better deal on an older truck, and then add the new dual thermostat and water pump to that truck. There are kits for about 350 that have everything you need.

4. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Well I found a 98, and it was well worth the wait! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif