Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I install 1 cat converter or 2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, Feb 24, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I am doing a drivetrain swap. New 396/700r4/twinstick 205 are going into my 80 K10./forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif I am going to use hooker headers and run dual exhaust. They just started doing emissions testing around here and I want to be able to register this thing and have it pass emissions./forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    My questions are:
    1) Should I install a catalytic converter?
    2) Should I make a Y pipe and use 1 high flow cat or do a regular dual exhaust and use 2 cats?
    3) If I install 2 cats should they go before or after the crossover? I have heard that a crossover can help with low end torque and reduce noise. But where should the cats be in relation to header collectors and the crossover?

I am thinking that if I use 2 cats and a crossover I won't need mufflers. If I do I will be able to add them later. As cool as FLOWMASTERs are, I don't need to be a member of that club($50/muffler). What do you people think?

Oh yeah, I would go to a muffleer shop and have a system bent up, but a friend with a similiar truck just spent $600 for dual exhaust with 1 cat and 2 flowmasters from his headers. His system sounds good but hangs almost as low as his axles and looks like it was designed and welded by retarded baboons(nothing against baboons)!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Any input is appreciated!!!

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

My uncle is running true Duals crossed over with 2 cats 1 on each pipe after the H pipe and 2 flowmasters after the h pipe and its crossed over at the rear before the pipes exit. Sounds Killer really good tone its 2wd 86 GMC with a ZZ4 350 souped up with all the goodies on it. Its his race play truck. And it passed emissions that way just fine so you should be alight with that system without the flows seeing how your not into that but it should pass. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he has a h and x pipe?

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

No the pipes cross over each other at the back of the truck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No the pipes cross over each other at the back of the truck

[/ QUOTE ]

WHY?????

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Anybody else got any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

As a retarded baboon, I take great offense to your statement. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

FL84K5, sorry to offend you and any other species of primate that may be mentally challenged/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I think the "rule" is that you want your H pipe as close to the header collectors as possible. Then I guess that would mean that your cats would have to be after the H pipe.

The emissions testing has alot to do with how well your carb is working and how clean your engine runs. So you could still fail with cats on and you could possibly pass with out the cat convertors on at all. But there are those visual inspections to pass too!

10. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

sdavid, thanks that is the kind of info i'm looking for!!
    Like I said, the testing is a new thing around here and form what i hear from others, they don't do visual unless there are no tailpipes sticking out to put their probes in.