Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I install Hydro Assist with X-over?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Bullet, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I plan to convert the Jimmy to Cross-over steering in a couple of weeks, but my main problem is that, while I'm at it why not install the WTO Hydro Assist. I've heard great things about them and thier kit, but do I really need it? I mainly run mud and Texas back road trials, and will be running a Track Lok posi in the Dana 60(for the mean time) What are some pros to help me make my mind up. Also, is Ram Assist a cure for Death Wobble? I'm sorry to be off subject in this forum Stephen, but you run a Rock Ram, right? What are its characteristics?

2. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Hydro assist was my cure for Death Wobble.

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

what kind(brand) of ram assist do you run?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I have an AGR RockRam, it works just like it's supposed to. About the only "problem" (characteristic maybe?) that I'm running into is that with hydroboost it doesn't like to steer when I'm hard on the brakes. But that's kind of how the system is designed.
    It does do wonders for damping the wobble. We dead towed my K5 at one point and had to stop because the wobble was so bad. With the motor running it doesn't exist. BUT, not to over exaggerate that effect, it's a good steering damper, not really anything more.

I usually don't recommend the ram systems to milder users. It's kind of one of those items that will be clearly needed when you need it. To put that another way, you'll know if you need it. $900 spent on a winch could be more useful to you. Or something like that....

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I run a Chief brand (welded type) cylinder with a 10" stroke.

I agree with Stephen, dont install hydro assist if you dont need it. I would never have installed it except that driving my Blazer @ 30mph was just not possible. Who would have thought that hydro assist was needed with the 35" SXs I used to run. Now that I run 39.5s, I am glad I have it. It is like "The Steering Dampener From Hell". It works great.

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I am considering the Hydro Ram, becasue I will be upgrading to 39.5 TSL or Boggers /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

after my attempt on the rubicon this weekend its goin to be a mandatory upgrade here really soon

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

A "Redneck Ram" from WTO is becoming higher on my list everyday. I run 44" TSL's on a locked D60 with ORD crossover steering and I have twisted the splines on my pitman shaft. I HAD death wobble, but a new steering stabilizer cured it. Now I just want to be able to turn my tires without the truck rolling.