Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should i look for a deasil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jul 26, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i might be looking for another blazer/sub/or truck in a while..and i was wondering if i should look out for a deasil. i love desil engines, the power and mostly the way they sound, only thing is fuel costs..

Bryan

2. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Registered Member

deasil?

Diesel

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Around here diesel fuel runs (on average) around 10-15 cents a gallon less than unleaded.

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Diesel is A TON cheaper here. I don't know what it's like there though.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Diesels are cheaper fuel wise because they are more fuel efficent, which like I said would make them cheaper.

Con's to diesels no HP stock they are really sluggish getting up to speed. 6.2's are fairly loud, higher mileage engines smoke more and stink, diesel smoke gets old to me.

For a 4x4 they have all the torque = towing power which would suit me fine I don't HOTROD my blazer anyway.

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Personally I would stay far far away from any old GM diesel trucks. The motors are no comparison for the Cummins or Powerstroke. And comparing prices to work on, the benefits of a well running 350 outweigh the hassel of a GM diesel motor.

Ken H.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

Re: deasil?

yea i was wondering how to spell that while i was typing that lol..thanx

Bryan

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what makes the cummins or power stroke more better..or a "turbo" one better..?

Bryan

9. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Get the diesel. I find mine has plenty of power, if you want a race car, buy a race car, if you want to run well offroad and have good torque, buy a diesel. If you want more power, buy a turbo. It'll run forever, get good mileage, and make lots of noise. It's a good time. Each person has their preferences...I thought I wanted a 350 until I started talking to people on this site...I have a diesel now. Find out which works for you.
    Eric

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well im not a highspeed screamer myself..you would think so me being 16 though wouldnt you? lol..but i love the power like i said befor..and the sound is AWESOME..and i REALLY liek the idea of more fuel affitiant engine..cause its either going to be a 305,350, or diesel that i will ever be driving anyway...so i might as well go for the diesel!..ill probobly most likly be buying a pickup next..mostly for the reason, that they are much easier to repair body wise if i have those problems over a k5. and i just love trucks anyhow... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Bryan

11. 4x4dreamer

I figure, if the Military saw fit to use 'em..must be good enough for me.

12. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

a cummins/powerstroke/duramax all have stronger blocks/cranks and pretty much everything than a 6.2/6.5. a 6.2 weighs around 830# while a 5.9Cummins weighs around 1100#. 6.2s are great in my opinion... my 6.2 is far more reliable than the 350s (and all the gassers) that i wheel with. my 6.2 has been the most reliable part of my K30, i think the 6.2 has been made out to be alot worse than it is by "stories". Check out TheDieselPage and you will find tons of people that love them, me included /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

newer diesels (such as the duramax and cummins) are alot better but i still think the 6.2/6.5s are great. i would never trade mine for a gasser. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool..well after this i think im ganna stick with my plan and look for a 6.2...

Bryan

14. 4x4dreamer

the story that sold me was the guy who went to k5 thing (Nick, I don't remember his ID) who filled his engine with water during a crossing, I mean, completely flooded it. He pulled the plugs, turned the engine over, water gushed out, put the plugs in, and drove away. There's a post or two in the Diesel forum you should read about it, and it's also in the trip report. Just an awesome story.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

sweet ill check it..yea i forgot there WAS a diesel forumn lol until now when im thinkin bout them..lol

Bryan

16. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

The 6.2s and 6.5s have a lack of power in my opinion. You can build a 350 that will produce just as much torque as a GM diesel without breaking the bank. Or a 454 stock that will have much more power easy. More expensive though.
    They dont last like a diesel should. No one can argue this. Look how long the Cummins last before a major rebuild, then look at a GM diesel. No comparison. And the Cummins has gobs more power everywhere. If you get a GM fuel pump to last more than 100k your very lucky. Head gaskets go. Diesels are excellent for the 4x4 world, but not the GM diesels. Thats why GM dumped them, they just not compete with Ford and Chrysler.

Ken H.