Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I make this trade? '77 Crew Cab for '85 Regular Cab

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 22, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Should I make this trade? \'77 Crew Cab for \'85 Regular Cab

I recently bought a '77 1 ton Crew Cab for $2000. My plans were to keep the 454 and the Dana 60 front, put a small block back in it and a Dana 44 and re-sell it for between $2500-$3500.

A friend saw it and just has to have it. He wants to trade me his '85 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 straight across for the Crew cab. The '85 has a 4" suspension/3" body lift, aluminum wheels, 35's, visor, toolbox, etc... Body is straight. The motor is knocking (but it's one I sold to him anyway and he hadn't paid for it yet).

The Crew Cab has a fair body, new TH400. It just has a 203 T-case. 33" tires, stock suspension, chrome wheels.

I still get to keep the 454 and D60 out of the CC. I get the '85 needing a motor, and he gets the Crew Cab as a 3/4 ton (with a Dana 44) and without a motor. Should I do the trade?

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Should I make this trade? \'77 Crew Cab for \'85 Regular Cab

sounds pretty good depending on your purposes and needs. By all means if you don't need the extra 2 doors from the crew cab I would trade you are getting a few of the best things out of it. The 454 and D60 and swapping into a more trail worthy shorter truck. Besides not getting the Th400 and having to onvert from a SF14 to a FF14 on the new truck sounds good.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

personally I wouldn't do it, but hey man it's your own life. My dream daily driver/tow rig would be a crew cab 4x4 like yours, but i'd shorten the frame and bed to make a cc swb. I'd then add cummins td power, 4" lift, and 35's. But that's just me. You ask a bunch of people, you get a bunch of answers, but they aren't in your shoes anyway, are they?

4. mountainexplorer

Well, I already have an '81 1-ton 4x4 Crew Cab that I'm keeping with a 454, 4spd/205 and Dana 60. It has a 4" lift and 33's, but about to get a 6" lift and 36's or 37's. This '77 was mainly to re-sell and make some money, plus keep some parts I need for my '80 GMC truck. If I didnt have the '81 Crew Cab, I wouldnt be letting the '77 go at all. I figure the '85 sale value ought to be about the same as what I could get out of the Crew Cab...or is it?

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Well if you get to keep the D60, by all means go for it!!

6. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well hell, if you already have one, why can't I have the other?:) LOL. I would said do the trade, but swap the FF for the SF when he's not looking! HAHA. I too, dream of a chev crew cab with custom SWB and cummins power! But... "dream in one hand and crap in the other, then see which one fills up first"
    Later...Allan

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I guess it comes down to if you want some cash or not.If you want or need some cash then stick with your original plan.If not then trade.

8. mountainexplorer

Well, I'd swap the rear end out, but I don't want to mess with re-locating the spring pads (1 ton Crew Cab vs. 3/4 ton). I am swapping out the rear 4.56 gears to match the front D60, and putting 4.10's back in the CC, along with a 4.10 D44. I guess I have enough FF 14 bolts anyway.

I'll just sell the '85 for $3500 or so, with a SB400 or another 350. This trade also depends on his bank. He still owes $3100 on the '85. We want to swap titles, so I get the '85 and he continues payments for the $3100 remainder on the Crew Cab title.

I dont know if the blue book values for a '77 CC and an '85 are similar enough. Anyone know? I'll have to do some checking. Hopefully no appraisals are required by the bank.